Maggot

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Hans Weilenmann

Maggot

Post by Hans Weilenmann » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:11 pm

There is something really attractive about simple yet very effective 8-)

Maggot
Hook: Sprite Grub #14 (or equivalent heavy wire scud hook)
Thread: Benecchi 12/0, black
Abdomen: Camel (or other cream fine dubbing)
Rib: Tying thread
Thorax: Peacock herl, re-enforced with tying thread

Cheers,
Hans W
DUBBN

Re: Maggot

Post by DUBBN » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:17 pm

This pattern reminds me of the Buckskin. I will have to practice my dubbing technique to get my body as tightly wrapped and perfectly tapered as your pattern is. I will copy your maggot and run it head to head with my Buckskins.

I wonder. Think they take it as a maggot or a caddis larva? In either case, if they bring fish to hand, I am happy.
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:20 am

Hans, these simple patterns are my favorites. I'm curious about the length of the camel fibers. The material I have is rather long in the staple (over an inch). Did you cut this or is it a prepackaged product? I have shied from camel for some time because of the length of the fibers. It seems there are other materials that would be fine in a shorter staple and the thing the camel has going for it is its unique length.

Wayne, do you have a buckskin pattern to post? I've seen the pattern in an old tying book somewhere and I know they are around, but I would like to see the comparison. More than that, I'm looking forward to hearing about the field testing. I hope your weather turns friendly soon. It's been a long stretch since seeing your trip pics.

Maggots. I have heard of trout feeding opportunistically on available maggots if a carcass is near the waters edge or in the water, but is there an aquatic supply of maggots? I wish I could remember the author, maybe Ted Leeson, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but he described finding an unfortunate deer lying just in the water. For kicks he unleashed a torrent of maggots from the body and watched a seemingly quiet and minor pool below erupt in a piranha like feeding frenzy.

Another reason to fool around with the Killer Bugs. :D

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Hans Weilenmann

Post by Hans Weilenmann » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:27 am

William Anderson wrote:Hans, these simple patterns are my favorites. I'm curious about the length of the camel fibers. The material I have is rather long in the staple (over an inch). Did you cut this or is it a prepackaged product? I have shied from camel for some time because of the length of the fibers. It seems there are other materials that would be fine in a shorter staple and the thing the camel has going for it is its unique length.
Long staple, but tightly dubbed 8-)
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:22 pm

Nice maggot, Hans.

William's comments reminded me of a couple photos I took several years ago. I was walking along the edge of the stream while fly fishing, and I came across the decaying remains of a smallmouth bass. The body was completely covered in white maggots. I stopped to look at it closely, watching the maggots wriggle as they feed on the bass. After taking a few photos, I pushed the body out into the main stream. The current washed away the maggots, and they formed a long trail downstream. Soon, the water was boiling with the activity of small baitfish feeding on the trail of maggots.

Pretty gross, but still worth a couple photos.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:56 pm

Hans, nice "Maggot" imitation. I use a lot of them here- tied with a brown or olive floss body as a Caddis nymph- just as Wayne pointed out.

Ray. I will never hold back now with my "dissection" photographs...... that Bass is just gross!
It does make a point though and help explain how Maggots become to be in the aquatic system.
Kind of reminds me of the old Scottish poachers trick of hanging a sheeps head on a branch overhanging a trout stream........ ;)
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:29 pm

Buckskin
Hook- Mustad 3399A, size 16 or 18
Thread- Veevus Black, 14/0
Body- Chamois
Head- Black super fine dubbing

letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:58 pm

Nice!! I tie a pattern very similar to your's Wayne.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:00 am

Ray & Jeff, Howdy;

In that Survival school they taught us that maggots are beneficial
in 2 ways. First, they can be used to clean wounds as they only eat
deteriorating flesh and secondly, they are a source of pure protein.
Not to bad ... after the first few ... :?

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:01 pm

Thanks, Wayne. I'm going to do my best to produce Hans' maggot and your buckskin. Nice and simple.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com