A trio of Nests

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Old Hat

A trio of Nests

Post by Old Hat » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:31 am

Here is the 3 Bird's nest patterns that I like to tie and use. I always have a few of each in my box. I debated whether to post them here or in the patterns sections. I don't really think of these as nymphs. I don't weight them and don't fish them any different than a wingless wet fly. I actually prefer these over the hare's ear patterns for unweighted flies. I think they are slightly more imitative of mayflies than most hare's ears. Yellow covers the PMD's, Sulphurs, PED's etc. The middle one is a Spectral Bird's Nest which mixes in some various colored seal with the dubbing and the darker is the standard which I add a bit of black seal dubbing to the mix.

I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
William Anderson
Site Admin

Re: A trio of Nests

Post by William Anderson » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:57 am

Carl, these look like a medley I'd carry as well. I've been fishing the Birds Nest since Jan 1 of this season and have done very well. I don't why I didn't tie them before, but I'm glad I've added them to the box. I like the light, medium, dark approach. Nicely tied and great pics. If things settle for some tying in a bit, I imagine there will be a pile of these for next season.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:25 am

Marvelous flies, Carl. Very nice "buggy" quality to them (sincere compliment).
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
redsedge

Post by redsedge » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:35 pm

Thank you, Carl. You've certainly sparked an interest in this fly for me. I like especially the way you tie them with the wing/collar more sparse than I believe the original is tied. The color and value variations inspire as well. What is the smallest size you have fished this fly?
Cheers,
Jim
fly_fischa

Post by fly_fischa » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:15 pm

Very cool trio Carl. I absolutely love the middle fly, fantastic looking dubbing blend. Any tricks to tying this one? The hackle fibers seem to be fanned on either side of the fly, or does it just look like this in the photo/angle? Thanks mate :)
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:54 pm

Glad you guys like them. The hackle isn't wrapped. I like to tie two narrow bunches and as Karsten mentions fan them a bit on either side. No tricks, just leave more room in the front for the dubbing than you think you might need.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:51 am

Carl,
These are wonderful! I am beginning to like birds nests! They are the typical scruffy looking, fish catching flies that fish love to eat! Please keep this up. It's summer tying at it's best!
Doug
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
Boris

Post by Boris » Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:08 pm

Great flies Carl. Very attractive too.
Ruard

Post by Ruard » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:16 am

Very nice buggy nymphs, like the pictures too.

greeting

Ruard
There will allways be a solution.
http://www.aflyinholland.nl