Dark mayfly nymph or stonefly with SBS

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Old Hat

Dark mayfly nymph or stonefly with SBS

Post by Old Hat » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:59 am

Tying these for the winter stones. I use this pattern effectively for mayfly nymphs with other colors of pheasant. It is tied basically using one of the methods Skues mentions. A quite simple and intuitive process. This pattern makes a decently weighted pattern and is especially useful for smaller nymphs.

1. Tie in a few pheasant fibers with the tips over the hook eye. These will become the legs. Adjust the length of overhang to desire leg length.
2. Wrap the fibers down covering the thorax area with thread. Leave the butt ends of the pheasant fiber standing up at a 90 degree angle from the hook at the rear of the thorax.
3. Continue wrapping thread back to the start of the bend.
4. Tie in the copper wire. Tie in a lot. this will be your ribs and thorax material.
5. Tie in your fibers for the tail leaving the butt ends intact. Move your thread forward to just in front of the pheasant butts that are standing at the thorax.
6. Wrap the butts of pheasant from the tail fibers forward and into the thorax area (straddling the butt ends rom the legs that are standing upright) Tie off and trim excess.
7. Bring the rib forward into the thorax area and begin to build up the thorax. When you have the size you want stop near the from of the thorax and tie off.
8. Now pull the butt ends from the leg fibers, that are still standing tall at the back of the thorax, forward over the ball of wire and tie them down at the head of the fly. At the same time pushing down on the legs and splaying them out evenly on either side of the front of the fly. Form a neat head and cement.

I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
DUBBN

Re: Dark mayfly nymph or stonefly with SBS

Post by DUBBN » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:26 am

Very well done.