Sulfur Nymph

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

tie2fish

Sulfur Nymph

Post by tie2fish » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:43 am

This pattern was responsible for roughly 80% of the fish I took out of the Madison River in June 2014, so it works as well as a PMD as it does as a Sulfur. I was fishing it on the point below a soft hackle dropper in a two-fly rig.
Based on the opinions of some really good fishermen friends of mine, and borne out by my own experience, one of the keys to a successful nymph pattern is a dark and slightly bulging wing case. This, in many important species, is characteristic of the nymphs right before the wing case splits to release the wings.

Hook: Light wire dry fly hook, Sizes #14 - #18
Thread: Uni 8/0, rusty brown
Tail: Lemon wood duck
Rib: Fine copper wire
Abdomen: Pheasant tail fibers as herl
Wing case: Black turkey or crow tail slips, doubled

Last edited by tie2fish on Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:12 am, edited 3 times in total.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
hankaye

Re: Sulfur Nymph

Post by hankaye » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:14 am

tie2fish, Howdy;

Mr. Bill, that's one good lookin' fly.
Is the Thorax material a secret (?),or do you find that any old yellow
material will function well ?

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:39 am

Bill, recently I reproduced a few of these from flies you passed to me this summer. I don't mean to pester and I could figure it out with some trial but I've learned that reproducing your patterns is a study of the details. I like the longer than "natural" tails and legs. I'm sure most yellow dubbing will work fine, but as with your emergers and comparaduns, I assumed a superfine synthetic dubbing. Curious about your thread selection and hook choice. I know that's some specific detail but your flies are not as easy to copy as I thought.

This is a beaut.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:44 am

Very well done Bill.
I will have to test yours, and others theory about the dark wing case.

I am interested why you chose a dry fly hook for your nymph. In a two fly set-up were you not allowing the nymph to drag bottom? Were you fishing it closer to the surface as an emerger?

I am not able to use fine wire hooks when I nymph from top to bottom. Inevitably I will snag a stick or rock and bend the light wire hook. I end up spending more time changing flies than fishing. The exception is the Tiemco 200 hook. It is light wire but I seem to put up with it bending none the less. No reason why but I do.

I use to tie some PT nymphs using light hares ear, or light Yellow Haretron for the thorax. For the life of me I do not know why I stopped. Your pattern reminded me of that. They are not nearly as extravagant as your pattern but they did work at times. I better put a few in the fly box.

Great pattern and great technique Bill.
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:47 am

hankaye wrote:tie2fish, Howdy;

Mr. Bill, that's one good lookin' fly.
Is the Thorax material a secret (?),or do you find that any old yellow
material will function well ?

hank
Pretty much, Hank, although I do like just a touch of orange or amber in it. William is right about the stuff on this particular fly -- it is light yellow Hareline Superfine with a little bit of sulfur orange in it.

As for hook choice, I like the light hook for a couple of reasons: the water I fish most often is relatively shallow and also because I like this pattern to ride up in the water column just prior to and during the early part of the hatch. If for some reason I need to get it down, I do (gasp) carry a box of split shot.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:01 pm

Bill, your friends and yourself are correct re: the wingcase's and the expansion/darkening. Thing to think about though, the darkening is a darkening of the natural- more that say tying a black wingcase on a normally grey thorax skinned nymph. Least thats the way it is with our locals.
This is why I like and fish the heck out of Pogo Nymphs with the foam wingcase.

By the way, very elegant looking nymph. ;)
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:00 pm

Dear Bill,
This nymph is fantastic! Your attention to detail is exceptional and your craftsmanship is just.....out of this world crazy good! I also like that it can cover quite well both nymphs from two seperate and distinct species! Incredible Bill!
You're our hero....always have been!
Dougsden
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
Ruard

Post by Ruard » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:46 am

Hi Bill,

I like this pheasant tail nymph very much, did not believe there could be another variation.

Well done!!!

Greeting

Ruard
There will allways be a solution.
http://www.aflyinholland.nl
tjd

Post by tjd » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:14 pm

Bill,

That's a fantastic looking Sulphur pattern. Nice details, and no surprise that it is such an effective patter, Welll done, as always, sir!

Best,

Tim
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:26 pm

Beautiful fly Bill. Has the looks and features of a Skues' Nymph.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com