Green Drakes

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

DUBBN

Re: Green Drakes

Post by DUBBN » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:06 pm

I have been racking my brain looking for this photo. It is a Green Drake I took out of a fishes mouth on the Roaring Fork about three weeks before the adults made their appearance. Weird nymphs, as they range in color from Lt Rusty Red, to Lt Olive, to almost Black, depending on which river, or even section of river you are on.

tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:43 pm

Robust rascals, aren't they? What Wayne's excellent photo does not show are the abdominal gills, which flare out when the nymph is submerged. Here is a Green Drake nymph I tied using olive ostrich herl for the gills. Due to the limited populations of Green Drakes in our area, I have not yet had a chance to try this out, but hope to rectify that this coming year on Penn's Creek around Memorial Day.

Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:30 pm

Remarkable Bill. What a "fishy" looking pattern (sincere compliment).

I love seeing the insect photos and fly patterns together. It really solidifies the idea of matching the hatch, and the options available.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean