Big Hole Demon

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

ScottP

Big Hole Demon

Post by ScottP » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:40 pm

Attributed to Pete Naranchich of Twin Bridges, MT, this fly was developed for the Big Hole River back in the early 60's. Not one you see or hear much of any more, apparently it's pretty popular in Europe as a sea trout pattern; that version is tied with badger hackle tips. Change colors as you see fit - furnace hackle, gold body, etc (red hackled is a Danish favorite)

hook - Mustad 79580 #6
thread - Danville 6/0 black
underbody - non-tox wire .025
tail - hackle fibers badger
rib - wire x-fine silver
abdomen - tinsel silver
thorax - chenille medium black
hackle - badger

Regards,
Scott
letumgo
Site Admin

Re: Big Hole Demon

Post by letumgo » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:21 am

Fascinating design. The hackle distribution and density should push a lot of water, and may cause the fly to "swim" (wobble). I was not aware of this pattern before now, but I was playing around with similar design concepts with a steelhead pattern. I used front heavy hackle and a long thin marabou tail to hopefully get more action out of the fly. The fish liked it.

Thanks for drawing my attention to this pattern. Is there a book or article with more background?
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
ScottP

Post by ScottP » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:03 am

Ray,

I thought I found it in one of Randall Kaufmann's nymph tying books, but I'm not sure (I'm on the road for a few weeks and don't have access to my library). Here's a nice article on the hackle-tip tail version http://globalflyfisher.com/patterns/big-hole-demon/

Regards,
Scott
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:06 am

Thanks Scott. That is a very helpful link. I'm a fan of Martin Joergensen's web site. I will be adding some Demons to my fly box.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:57 am

Very well done Scott. Your pattern has jogged my memory. I have seen this pattern before, but for the life of my, I can not place it. My wife's family is from Montana, and her Father and Uncles fished the Big Hole often. Perhaps that is where I recognize the pattern from. In any case, great job tying and presenting your nymph.
Tom Smithwick

Post by Tom Smithwick » Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:54 pm

I like this one, too, and immediately started thinking of variations. Panfish fly for sure, marabou tail and weight the forward shank to make it dive. All olive with ostrich herl tips for the tail and remaining herl for the thorax as a damselfly nymph. Lots of possibilities.