Empty handed.

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

daringduffer

Empty handed.

Post by daringduffer » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:32 pm

As you would expect, I have nothing to show. Thought I should tell you how f...ed up I am. Read about a nymph on a South African forum a couple of years ago which looked as if it would be appreciated by grayling. It included an important material not available no more. I looked for it, but came up empty handed. I'm convinced there are lots of perfectly good substitutions, but...

The material in question is DMC Metallic Embroidery Thread (4012). French company, item made in Japan, now found in South Korea, for a South African pattern, now on its way to Sweden. (Shipping cost $1,88). Anyway, while waiting for this, I have played with something else, inspired by this pattern. Bodies made from twisted bronze, green and claret peacock herl, ribbed with fine dark copper wire. Yummy!

http://www.tomsutcliffe.co.za/fly-fishi ... e-zak.html

http://www.tomsutcliffe.co.za/fly-fishi ... erger.html

Pictures borrowed from those linked pages.

dd
Smuggler

Re: Empty handed.

Post by Smuggler » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:46 pm

Interesting. I often thought about tying a snipe and purple with Veevus iridescent thread. Just to see what results I'd get but, I never got around to buying the thread.

Those flies certainly look like they would fit the bill. The sparse CDC on the one nymph looks incredibly enticing. Cool stuff.
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:25 am

Wow! Electric and eclectic. That emerger really looks the African part ... like a Zulu headdress. Cool find, dd.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:56 am

Stefan, you're a man not easily deterred. That second nymph really looks. Good to me. Looks like a technique I've seen and forgotten where a section of peacock heels are stripped and a portion left in full bloom. That's a compelling texture/color/ /profile with nice action and a touch of bling. Looks like something to fuss with.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:27 am

dd, Howdy;

Stefan, just something about peacock 8-) .
Hope most , if not all, of your expectations are realized. ;)

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:46 pm

I'm intrigued by the possibilities of twisting and turning. It's been almost a year since I tied last time. Last night I tied some Jim Slattery Triple Threat Caddis with abdomens of twisted peacock green/bronze and claret abdomens - more or less hairy - ribbed with tightly twisted dark and light fine copper wire. It's the tight twist that gives the desired effect. Without it, the exercise is almost pointless. (Speaking of the copper wire now). It's a brilliant pattern, although not a nymph.
You may delete this whole post. Just wanted to share my slight excitement regarding peacock herl as a tying material. Hare, pheasant and peacock; what more do you need? (Gold, silver and copper rib).

dd

(Our own Philip Bailey has a dry fly pattern on that Sutcliffe site).
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:25 pm

daringduffer wrote:I'm intrigued by the possibilities of twisting and turning. It's been almost a year since I tied last time. Last night I tied some Jim Slattery Triple Threat Caddis with abdomens of twisted peacock green/bronze and claret abdomens - more or less hairy - ribbed with tightly twisted dark and light fine copper wire. It's the tight twist that gives the desired effect. Without it, the exercise is almost pointless. (Speaking of the copper wire now). It's a brilliant pattern, although not a nymph.
You may delete this whole post. Just wanted to share my slight excitement regarding peacock herl as a tying material. Hare, pheasant and peacock; what more do you need? (Gold, silver and copper rib).

dd

(Our own Philip Bailey has a dry fly pattern on that Sutcliffe site).
You had me at "Hare, pheasant and peacock".

Great post!
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:05 pm

Thanks, Dubbn.

dd
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:01 am

I have no intentions of deleting this post. I'd like to keep it for inspiration. After reading this post, and browsing the links, I have several ideas to play around with.

Did you notice the "Bent Hackle" fly towards the bottom of one of the links?

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/feature ... part87.php

The "Bent Hackle" caught my attention. Soon after seeing this photo, I headed over to Amazon to finally purchase the Datus Proper book. I've had it on my wishlist for quit some time and your link pushed me over the edge to making an impulse buy. I just had to read more about the bent hackle fly. I can't wait for my new book to arrive, hopefully later this week.

Thanks for leading me astray Stefan. I enjoy your excursions. ;) :D
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:51 am

That is a very proper read, Ray. He has strong opinions about hooks.
The South African tiers are not tied down by conventions. Seem to be experimental. I incorporated some 'halo hackles' into a few Klinkhamer flies tied for a friend. I'm curious about how well they will work. A Jingler with different orientation.

dd