Anyone seen this one?

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

hankaye

Anyone seen this one?

Post by hankaye » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:39 pm

Howdy All;

Nosing about on you tube this afternoon and ran across this one of Ollie Edwards
doesn't have his name under it some kind of Cyrillic writing ... but the video is Himself
talking. Thought I'd share.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5_dZr9d_Gs

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
Mataura mayfly

Re: Anyone seen this one?

Post by Mataura mayfly » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:08 pm

Thanks Hank, I found that really interesting. Picked up some handy tying tricks and some different methodology.
Have been there and done that for a good long while now with rock rolling & netting to discover what is on the menu of the stream bed, funnily enough UK stream offerings are not that different from what is on offer over here. ;)
The style of fishing is not unlike Tenkara with a reel and short line fishing is one method I am yet to convince myself will work in NZ, but looks like a few tricks I could employ next visit to Ireland..... just a bit harder to pack a 10' rod.
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:55 am

Thanks very much for this link, Hank. Oliver Edwards has been and remains my real life hero. I was fortunate enough to have access to several of his earlier videos when I began serious tying, but this is one I had not seen previously. I will never match his skills as a tyer and fisherman, but they continue to serve as inspirations for me.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:15 am

tie2fish, Howdy;

there are a few others that will show with the same name under it.
Looks like Mr. Edwards had someone come in and do up a few videos.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:30 pm

tie2fish wrote: I will never match his skills as a tyer and fisherman, but they continue to serve as inspirations for me.
The first part of that sentence is nothing but rubbish, as my old hero Oliver would have said. I don't know anything about Master Shuck as fisherman, though.

I have all but one of the copies of Fly Fishing & Fly Tying when he contributed with articles. The one missing is when he wrote about Veli Autti's legging technique. I let a friend borrow it and he lost it somehow. His writing is even better than his tying.

In one of the first magazines, Davy Wotton showed the split thread method for the first time. I believe he came up with it. He tied a sedge with 'zing wings' and thorax of hare's ear in split thread. I couldn't sleep that night.

Thanks, Hank.

dd
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:43 am

daringduffer wrote:
In one of the first magazines, Davy Wotton showed the split thread method for the first time. I believe he came up with it. He tied a sedge with 'zing wings' and thorax of hare's ear in split thread. I couldn't sleep that night.

dd
In "Silk, Fur and Feather", GEM Skues describes his tying for the Medium Olive Dun. He suggests a Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear. He admits that to him this doesn't look like an imitation, but the trout take it willingly.

"It should be tied as a floater on an eyed hook, with upturned eyes - a Hall's Snecky Limerick for preference, size 0."

He then gives the recipe, and it was his last instruction that caught my eye:

"Legs.- Fibres from the hare's face or back, introduced between the strands of tying silk, opened for the purpose with a pin or dubbing needle, and then spun and wound as a hackle, the fly being finished at the head."

Seems as if I was mistaken when I believed that Wotton came up with it. Wrong. I was wrong!

dd
Smuggler

Post by Smuggler » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:52 am

daringduffer wrote:
daringduffer wrote:
In "Silk, Fur and Feather", GEM Skues describes his tying for the Medium Olive Dun. He suggests a Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear. He admits that to him this doesn't look like an imitation, but the trout take it willingly.

"Legs.- Fibres from the hare's face or back, introduced between the strands of tying silk, opened for the purpose with a pin or dubbing needle, and then spun and wound as a hackle, the fly being finished at the head."

dd
You have no idea how long I've been waiting for someone else to bring this to attention. When I first got my copy of that sweet little book and stumbled across that, I read it over about 4 times and thought.. "Huh, holy sh*t"
Norm Frechette

Post by Norm Frechette » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:10 am

and dubbing brushes aren't exactly new either. late 1880's.

what may be perceived as 'new' is not always the case

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/2 ... ushes.html