Salmonfly Nymph

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

tie2fish

Salmonfly Nymph

Post by tie2fish » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:03 am

Recently I learned that I will be spending 8 days in Jackson Hole next July (2016), and have already started tying what I hope to be suitable patterns. Here is my take on the venerable Kaufmann Stonefly nymph, a fly that many feel is the best imitation of a Salmonfly nymph. This one is tied on a Daiichi 1730, Size #6 hook. The wingcase pads were made using Renzetti burners on Medallion Sheeting (mottled brown) that I reinforced with Scotch tape on one side.
Salmonfly Nymph.jpg
Salmonfly Nymph.jpg (58.62 KiB) Viewed 7889 times
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
DUBBN

Re: Salmonfly Nymph

Post by DUBBN » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:20 am

Thats a big'un!
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:17 am

Jackson Hole!! Good for you, man. I am crazy jealous.

This pattern has always had such a killer appeal. Beautiful job tying these.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Smuggler

Post by Smuggler » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:56 am

This'll do it Bill! That's gonna be a phenomenal trip :)
Eric Peper

Post by Eric Peper » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:04 pm

Here's a siimple one that has worked well for me in the Yellowstone area for almost 40 years. I usually use a Mustad 79580 (The pictured fly is on a Jacklin barbless streamer hook #4) that is bent in the middle and has an underbody of lead or lead substitute. Nothing but black goose biots in the tail, black wool yarn double wrapped for the body, oval gold tinsel rib, and a black hen hackle.

Eric
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:07 am

Thanks, Eric. That looks much simpler to tie, with the added advantage of being a soft hackle. Perhaps I will try replacing the wing pads/antennae with a soft hackle collar on the Kaufmann pattern.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
paparex

Post by paparex » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:53 am

Eric's tie sounds big, but not for that part of the country. One of the first times I fished the Snake my friend handed me a stonefly nymph to tie on. It was black, about the size of my thumb and weigh as much as a small pocket knife. We floated them down underneath log jams, fallen trees or up and under riverside bushes and trees. Then we stripped them or jerked them back towards us. Hold on to your rod! A tributory and much small stream, the Greys, has less dead fall. But that sized nymph was the ticket. Undercut banks and deep holes. As long as the nymph bounces along the bottom you have the right weight. I tie a Montana style nymph with lots of forward weight and lots of soft hackle for logs
Eric Peper

Post by Eric Peper » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:47 pm

It's also worked for me in the Midwest as a hellgrammite imitation on a #4. I don't tie it any smaller than 8.

Years back it was absolutely deadly for me, working small pockets along the west bank of the Henry's Fork just below Box Canyon. Ya feel a little goofy sight fishing with a weighted size 4, but I could see every take of the 18"-21" rainbows.

Eric
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:51 pm

This Olive and Peacock and a straight Black are the best Stone Nymphs I have ever used. These are size 8. Size 10 Mustad 79580 is my favorite. No beads. No lead added.
Heavily hackled. Lightly hackled. Does not seem to make a difference. I have even been know to use pheasant church window feathers as a collar on the Olive instead of hen or rooster hackle.

letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:15 pm

Wayne - That is excellent! I'd gladly fish that bugger, and the variations you describe.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean