Amber and Fluff

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

William Anderson
Site Admin

Amber and Fluff

Post by William Anderson » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:07 am

These little droppers are great as fall sometimes requires blind casting in likely seams. I've tied these for years, my favorite with a starling hackle and touch of mole in the thorax. This version is something that I thought would be interesting with it's brighter fore section. The fluff won't have the spring and resistance of a proper soft hackle and may collapse when not in dead drift. But it holds promise and the wire body is full of bling and serves to bring the whole tippet and point fly lower and lower during it's progress. Sometimes more necessary in fall on the waters I fish. I hope to have a better report in the weeks to come.

Daiichi 1250
Griffiths 14/0 Black (perhaps a brighter thread would have made a more subtle head. Perhaps the black head imitates the heads of some insects.)
Uniwire - Amber, small
Bright fluff from a cree hen cape.

"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
tie2fish

Re: Amber and Fluff

Post by tie2fish » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:08 am

The impeccable wire work here is instantly recognizable, but this is the first time for chick-a-boo that I can recall. This just may be the ticket, W.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:46 am

I look at the flies you, Bill, Eric and Lance are tying and see I will be out fished, left and right, during our next trip to Roscoe. Good thing I have some old flies you guys have handed me in the past. I will do my best to keep up with the pros.

Great fly, William. I can't wait to see how it performs for you.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Smuggler

Post by Smuggler » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:27 pm

I hope this scores big for you, it has all the makings of a solid pattern.

What size is this hook?
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:12 pm

Thanks, fellas. This or a variation of this has been great for me. If I have enough time on the stream I usually remember to try this.
Eric this is a #16. I have a bunch of these in #18 on scud hooks. Always worth trying.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:48 pm

I like it, but immediate thought was- wonder if you doubled that fluff and tied it as a loop on top of the "thorax" would it trap more air bubbles?
Perhaps not a fast water pattern as the fluff would slick back on the wire (but that may not be a bad thing), but I can see it being effective in the manner you describe.
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.