fishhead

Rhyacophila

Post by fishhead » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:30 am

Hook Gamakatzu 50411 sz 1
Tail fluff from a fluorescent craft store feather with a V cut out the back
Thread Uni chartreuse 8/0
Body chartreuse ostrich herl. With silli skin on back of hook shank
Rib UTC vinylc rib chartreuse
Thorax started with dark olive up near the head and then filled in between with tan
Left the but ends of the chartreuse ostrich as horns

I have decided to switch up my fly for the swap. I don not have enough funds to go and buy new hooks and have to make due with what I have. The last pattern I posted for the upcoming swap I joined just needed to be downsided. I will tye a few just to have it myself but I don't have enough of the right hook for the swap. So what do you guys thin of this one would you be happy getting this fly from a swap and again brutal honesty is what I would be happiest to hear so I don't send sone thing bad.

I tried my best to get a few angles so you could really see if there was anything that should be changed with the pattern.

letumgo
Site Admin

Re: Rhyacophila

Post by letumgo » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:46 am

Personally I would be very happy to receive these as swap flies. You do not need to stress about the fly choice, or the materials you use. Participation in the swaps is intended to build our community and give everyone a chance to participate and exchange flies with other members of the forum. When I first joined the forum, I did not have many of the materials used in the older flies. That didn't stop me from joining the swaps. In hind sight, the swaps have been a great way to practice new techniques and see what others use as proportions.

I find rhyacophila in many of the streams I fish, especially in the Adirondacks. The ones I've examined have plump segmentated bodies with dark backs and bright green bellies. I took several years ago.

Here is the insect this soft hackle is supposed to imitate:
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:33 am

Nice looking tie. 8-) Have you tried it stationary on a white leader?

I would fish that up against the Gill Ribbed Larva any day...

or my simple rug yarn version.

I think it would be a good addition to any flybox!
ronr

Post by ronr » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:54 pm

Roadkill and letumgo, thank you Bill for introducing me to the forum, and letumgo for allowing me on. What a terrific resource! I now have another reason to spend hours on the computer studying more flies to tie and tips to learn...my wife will be eternally grateful.... well maybe not....
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:01 pm

I've seem more patterns for this particular bug than I have for PMD patterns. Just a ton of them. And this one is fine. I like the mobility of the herl and the overall form. Ray's right, these can get a little chunky, but your imitation should be great. Really a fine pattern. I'd fish this one.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:02 pm

ronr wrote:Roadkill and letumgo, thank you Bill for introducing me to the forum, and letumgo for allowing me on. What a terrific resource! I now have another reason to spend hours on the computer studying more flies to tie and tips to learn...my wife will be eternally grateful.... well maybe not....

A very warm welcome. I hope you enjoy sorting through all the back posts and getting to know the characters who haunt these pages. Please jump in. I look forward to hearing your thoughts and questions.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
zen leecher

Post by zen leecher » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:10 pm

Roadkill wrote:Nice looking tie. 8-) Have you tried it stationary on a white leader?

I would fish that up against the Gill Ribbed Larva any day...

or my simple rug yarn version.

I think it would be a good addition to any flybox!

Your yard version looks a lot like a "52 BuicK" if you are familiar with B.C. flies.
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:05 pm

zen leecher,

I learned about the 52 Buick from Reg Denny in 1989. He used to go fishing with the owner of that Buick. I haven't tied it in years but have some in a Dragon/Damsel flybox somewhere. I found the simple marabou damsel more effective for me. The fly that has stuck with me is Denny's 007 Dragon nymph. I bought the Flies for Alberta book when it came out in 1998. It is on my bucket list to go fish the Medicine May Nymph some year as the lake disappears. ;)
fishhead

Post by fishhead » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:21 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I can at least darken the back very easily. Thank you
fishhead

Re: Rhyacophila.

Post by fishhead » Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:21 am

Ok so I used some sticky lead wrapped around the hook shank to fatten it up. I used dark olive nymph skin on the back. Then I used more dark olive ostrich herl on the head. Then some dark green and black sharpie in spots and rubbed with my finger to blend the marker in On back of the fly before adding head cement to lock in the color once I got it the shade I was looking for. Everything else is the same as above unless I missed something.