Spectral Nymph

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Old Hat

Spectral Nymph

Post by Old Hat » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:05 pm

Something I'm playing with. An easy unweighted nymph design. Cal Bird's spectral dubbing blend for the abdomen. A little seal for the thorax. Legs are coq de Leon. Legs are clipped to length on hackle, then tied in and wrapped, then clipped on top.

I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
Smuggler

Re: Spectral Nymph

Post by Smuggler » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:42 pm

Very nice Carl. Maybe a tad bit more build on the thorax? Or are you trying to keep this guy slim and in shape? ;)
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:35 pm

Nice creation, are you tying this as a generic swimming nymph?
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:18 am

Capital killer, as they used to say. I love the spectral dubbing.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:43 am

Carl, that's very compelling design. I always like spectral dubbing blends and this whole impression is very cool.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:10 pm

Thanks gentlemen.

Eric - Yeah, this is an organic vegan nymph. :lol: I used to be a stickler about the shape of the body. But over the years I have grown to believe that the shape of the body is quite low on the importance list. Now the overall profile (big picture) of the fly is quite important, and the shape of the body certainly can contribute to that, but not enough that I worry about it much. As far as the thorax area goes, I believe a color change plays a much bigger role in the distinction of the thorax from the abdomen.

Bill- Yeah, right now its just a generic pattern. But the spectral dubbing, in Cal's Bird's thoughts anyway, covers a multitude of species. The thinking is the fish's brain looks for what is there, not for what isn't there. If the trigger color is yellow, and the fish sees yellow, then it's all good. The trigger is fired. If the trigger color is yellow but there is some blue mixed in with the yellow, the yellow trigger is still fired. The blue isn't a negative trigger. The fish doesn't think "Oh it's is not really yellow, there is a bunch of blue in there, I won't eat it." It just selects for yellow, because that is the trigger at the moment. So the thinking is ...give the fish as many color triggers as possible in one design. Atherton was big on this as well, I believe.

I think I'll be adding some tails to some of these as well.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
swellcat

Post by swellcat » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:59 am

I think I'll be adding some tails to some of these as well.
As long as you're feeling experimental, what about a few with full, in-the-round, untrimmed hackle . . . if it wouldn't otherwise interfere?

(Sorry about the design-by-committee. We could always try to tie our own, I reckon. :) )
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:33 am

My fault, I wasn't very specific in my material description. The hackle is trimmed Coq de Leon saddle hackle. The feathers are very translucent and quite stiff, similar to dry hackle. They don't soak up water readily even when trimmed. There is a couple highly thought of patterns that use these as hackles this way. I was using the hackle tips on other patterns and figured why waste. Untrimmed, the hackles would be way too big. Hen hackles in the round certainly would work, but that's so yesterday! :lol: