Black Spider... kind of

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

DUBBN

Black Spider... kind of

Post by DUBBN » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:36 pm

I was going through my notes and journals. I discovered that about once a year. Between the end of January and the middle of March I find Little Black Stones Flies , sitting on top of snow drifts, or sitting on ice.

About once per year, maybe twice on a special year, Black soft hackles work, when I see these bugs.

I have nothing Black in my arsenal right now, so I added some patterns.

I have a hunch a Peacock and Partridge would work.

Hook - WFC model 6, size 16
Thread- Veevus Black, 14/0
Rib - Xsmall UTC, Silver
Thorax- Purple Peacock (just because)
Collar - Herbert Miner, Black Hen Cape

I found a 2X long size 16 hook on my desk as I was tying these up. I threw a bead on it and tied as the others.

If I can find a pic I took of the Little Stone adult I will post it.

I nymph with these when those bugs are present. I am most productive when nymphing the tops of drop offs, rather than deep runs. Especially if those sharp drop offs are below a riffle.

letumgo
Site Admin

Re: Black Spider... kind of

Post by letumgo » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:58 pm

I’ve encountered the small black stoneflies too. Somewhere I think I have a picture of one sitting in the snow, along the stream.

Good stuff!
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:05 pm

DUBBN,

Nice Inspiration!!

Here is my Winter Stone... I hope to fish with ronr.

ImageIMGP1243 by William Lovelace, on Flickr

It is a #18 tied with Brown silk, xs silver rib and a Starling hackle. It might be a little large for the Winer Stones I have seen here in Oregon. ;)
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:09 pm

Roadkill wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:05 pm DUBBN,

Nice Inspiration!!

Here is my Winter Stone... I hope to fish with ronr.

ImageIMGP1243 by William Lovelace, on Flickr

It is a #18 tied with Brown silk, xs silver rib and a Starling hackle. It might be a little large for the Winer Stones I have seen here in Oregon. ;)
Holy Moly Bill!! That is hot. I officially have a man crush on you now!!!
ronr

Post by ronr » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:08 am

Until today there was snow along the banks on the Metolius, last night heavy rains will have washed that away. But, I did not see any little black stones on Sunday. I did see what I think may have been willow flies. I think they are a variety of stonefly and both DUBBN's and Roadkill's bugs would have been good imitations...
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:43 pm

Rick Hafele & Dave Hughes in their 1981 book The Complete Book of Western Hatches identified 4 Small Brown Stones (Genus: Nemoura (Little Brown Stone), Leuctra (Needle Fly), Capnia (Winter Stone), and Brachyptera (Little Red Stone). It has been one of my favorite reference books since 1985! The website Westfly online was great while it lasted. Trout Nut replaced that for me.
http://www.troutnut.com/common-name/391/Willowflies

The classifications may have changed since then, but little black flies when the snow is on the ground may be the thing to try. I would bet a Trico or even some midges would work well in a pinch! ;)

Bugwater 2010 by Oregonian Arlen Thomason includes the possibility of some larger Skwala stoneflies in his Bugs of Winter... chapter. 8-)
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:42 am

Howdy All;

Thought I'd throw this in to the mix regarding your what I have conversation.
According to NMDG&F's Tues. Fishing report;

San Juan River: Stream flow Monday morning was 397 cfs. In accordance with the Public Health Order, effective Dec. 3, NM State Parks reopened to New Mexico residents for day-use only. Please check the State Parks’ website for more information. Fishing for trout in the quality waters was good using small size 24 chocolate foam wing emergers, size 20 black zebra midges, size 22 crystal midges, black flashbacks, black Baetis fly patterns and small chartreuse egg patterns.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
Fishnkilts

Post by Fishnkilts » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:34 pm

WOW! Just WOW on both flies DUBBN and Roadkill.

I'm very envious on how people can just throw things together and come out with super looking flies like those.
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:26 pm

Fishnkilts,

Kind of like casting... Practice, Practice, Practice. :)

It also helps to have started tying over 60 years ago and learning at a couple decades of Expos with world class tyers! ;) Today the NET brings those expert tyers right into your home. :D
ronr

Post by ronr » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:06 pm

Hank... some years ago fished the San Juan with the guides at Fishheads. One of the guides was a giant man, whose name escapes me.. about 6'4" 250# great guide, great sense of humor... His take was that you could catch all the little fish you wanted on the smaller flies... but if you wanted to catch bigger fish, go bigger... we fished large dries with him and he was right. I love the San Juan. It really got my daughter hooked on fly fishing when she joined me for a trip.
Attachments
P7211110.jpeg
P7211110.jpeg (428.32 KiB) Viewed 2040 times