DUBBN

Brown Hackle Peacock

Post by DUBBN » Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:39 pm

Simple, effective.
letumgo
Site Admin

Re: Brown Hackle Peacock

Post by letumgo » Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:04 pm

Do you fish these year round, or at a particular time of year? I’ve mostly fished them in summer months, thinking that were a good beetle imitation. I’m curious to know if you’ve fished them year round.

That is some mighty fine looking brown hackle. Nice rich coloration.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:25 am

letumgo wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:04 pm Do you fish these year round, or at a particular time of year? I’ve mostly fished them in summer months, thinking that were a good beetle imitation. I’m curious to know if you’ve fished them year round.

That is some mighty fine looking brown hackle. Nice rich coloration.
Ray, I have to admit that I have neglected this pattern for a few years. I used it last week on the Gunnison River, as an attractor. I used it as my top fly in a three fly nymph rig.

Hence, why I posted it here in the nymph section. I use it and other wet flies year round for nymphing.

So long answer is , yes, I use it year-round, but not in a traditional Soft Hackle technique.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:32 am

When you use this as the top fly, how deep to does the fly fish? Can you follow the red tag visually during the drift? If so, it seems like you get the added bonus that the fly serves to help strike detection.

What type of yarn (?) are you using for the red tag? Is that an antron of some sort? I've been using red floss for the tag. Not sure it makes a difference, since it still provides a hotspot to draw attention.

DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:20 am

letumgo wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:32 am When you use this as the top fly, how deep to does the fly fish? Can you follow the red tag visually during the drift? If so, it seems like you get the added bonus that the fly serves to help strike detection.

What type of yarn (?) are you using for the red tag? Is that an antron of some sort? I've been using red floss for the tag. Not sure it makes a difference, since it still provides a hotspot to draw attention.

Ray, I use leaders (nymph rigs) that range 15 to 20 feet long for this river and time of year. I am using an 11foot , 3 weight nymphing rod (Syndicate). The water I am finding fish in is 5 to 10 feet deep. Most of the time I am not using a bobber, but when I have to cast across the main current at distances of up to 70 feet I do add an indicator.

So no, I do not see the flies in this circumstance.

The yarn is quilting yarn I steal from my wife's craft room. After I grabbed a length of it and cut it into serviceable lengths and diameter, I found the wool I normally use. I do not think it makes much difference. I have used yarn, floss and Goose biot for the tag. All seem to work.

The Red Tag (Brown Hackle Peacock) does well in this situation. I was using it or a Sexy Walt as attractors to get the fish to move close enough to my set up, to see and eat the large (size 16) Olive Midge larva that is a main food source this time of year, and on this section of the Gunnison River.

The trout do not have to eat a pattern on my rig for me to consider that fly essential. I usually use an egg pattern as an attractor. This was a instance that the egg was not working.

The pattern I use the most when the fish are on Olive Midge Larva

A few of the rewards

letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:44 am

The trout do not have to eat a pattern on my rig for me to consider that fly essential.
Words of wisdom...

Man, those are some handsome fish and fly patterns! The Olive Midge Larva looks so lifelike.

I am not familiar with the "Sexy Walt" pattern. Is that one of the flies shown above? I think the flies in the last picture are pink squirrels, but may be wrong.

DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:59 am

letumgo wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:44 am

I am not familiar with the "Sexy Walt" pattern. Is that one of the flies shown above? I think the flies in the last picture are pink squirrels, but may be wrong.
I think there are about a thousand variations of the Sexy Walt. This is one, or could be a Pink Squirrel had I used Squirrel dubbing.
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:31 pm

Hot Spot Squirrel.

The latest and greatest soft hackle in my neck of the woods.

I am sure it will work when a Guides Choice does. Anyway, I tyed 3 up. Hope I don't forget I tyed them and find them again in 3 years.

letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:04 pm

I see fish in your future... :ugeek: ;)