Doctor Lyte Palmer (Tutorial / SBS)

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

letumgo
Site Admin

Doctor Lyte Palmer (Tutorial / SBS)

Post by letumgo » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:38 pm

Here is a copy of the "Doctor Lyte Palmer", which I hope is closer to the recipe listed in James Leisenring's book. In this version, I have matched the tying instructions called out in his book (see details below).

DOCTOR LYTE PALMER
Hook 13, 14 (in this case I used a Mustad Model R50U)
Silk - Orange (Pearsall's Gossomer Silk / No. 19)
Front Hackle - Pure honey dun of rich color and medium stiffness - two turns
Rib #1 - Fine peacock herl of the sword feather - one of the long thin fibers
Rib #2 - Very narrow gold tinsel wound right alongside of the peacock herl rib and in front of it
Ribbing Hackle - Pure honey dun hackle slightly smaller than the front hackle (palmered up the body)
Body - Dingy orange worsted wool

Mr. Leisenring wrote the following comments about the origin and fly:

"Here is a very good little fly I have found at times very deadly. The dressing was given to me by one of my fishing companions, and expert flytyer, Dr. H.W. Lyte, of Allentown, Pennsylvania, with whom I have spent many most pleasant days studying the natural fly and its immitation on many streams."

Notes about tying this pattern:

The hackle feathers are both taken from a honey dun hen's neck. The body hackle is one of the small feathers from up near the neck of the bird. The feather are less than two inches long. I tyed the body hackle in by the tip, just over the barb of the hook. Once I formed the dubbed body, I wrapped the tinsel rib forward, followed by the peacock sword (along the rear edge of the tinsel), followed by palmering hackle over the body. Normally I would fold the hackle before wrapping it forward, however in this case I simply wrapped it forward, letting the fibers go where they wanted to. I kinda like the random "scatter" of the palmered body hackle. I like the way the body fibers and the collar fibers interact. It makes the pattern look very "buggy".

The collar hackle was taken from the middle of the hen neck. I picked a feather with fibers that are almost the length of the hook. I tyed the collar hackle in at the beginning, right after mounting the tying tread. Once the body is formed and everything is tyed off at the front, I then wound the collar hackle back to the body (two wraps only). The tying thread is then wiggled forward thru the hackle collar and whip finished.

All of the ribbing materials (oval tinsel, peacock sword fiber & palmer hackle) are tyed in at the back of the hook. The body of the fly is formed by dubbing the thread and wrapping it forward to create a smooth body. Then I wrapped each of the ribs forward, one by one (tinsel first, peacock sword fiber second, then palmered the hackle third). Each of these materials is secured with one or two (max) wraps of thread to secure it in place. The collar hackle is then wrapped from the hook eye, back to the shoulder of the body (front edge).
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
willowhead

Re: Doctor Lyte Palmer

Post by willowhead » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:12 pm

WOW! that is so cool.........did you use cock hackle for the collar? i just did a whole bunch of wets using cock (Cree), hackle for the collars at the show this past weekend. They were the first half dozen flies i tyed, as we were asked for a half dozen for donations and plates.....so i just did 'em up real quick so i could get 'em turned in. Sometimes it's fun to use a stiffer hackle.....just has a different look as you know. i mostly used MoHair for the bodies on those i just mentioned. Anyway.....your tye is fantastic.....dynamite. Killer work Ray. ;)
Learn to see with your ears and hear with your eyes
CAUSE, it don't mean a thing, if it aint got that swing.....

http://www.pureartflytying.ning.com
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:24 pm

Ray, Howdy;

What w-h said ...
you have things going in more directions than the Katzenjammer kids.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:50 pm

Mark - The hackle feathers are both taken from a Collin's hen neck. The body hackle is one of the small feathers from up near the neck of the bird. The feather are less than two inches long. I tyed the body hackle in by the tip, just over the barb of the hook. Once I formed the dubbed body, I wrapped the tinsel rib forward, followed by the peacock sword (along the rear edge of the tinsel), followed by palmering hackle over the body. Normally I would fold the hackle before wrapping it forward, however in this case I simply wrapped it forward, letting the fibers go where they wanted to. I kinda like the random "scatter" of the palmered body hackle. I like the way the body fibers and the collar fibers interact. It makes the pattern look very "buggy".

The collar hackle was taken from the middle of the hen neck. I picked a feather with fibers that are almost the length of the hook. I tyed the collar hackle in, right after mounting the tying tread. Once the body is formed and everything is tyed off at the front, I then wound the collar hackle back to the body (two wraps only). The tying thread is then wiggled forward thru the hackle collar and whip finished.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:34 pm

Way cool Ray.....doin' things the old way is a beautiful nood to the spirit of the flymph. Showin' respect for the old man with the "Lift." ;) Classy.....
You sure found a killer hackle to use for the collar.....guite stiff lookin' which matches up perfectly with the way you did, and your thinkin' bout, the palmered hackle.....extremely well thought out. You really should be out here a lot more, teaching and demonstrating. OH! that head KILLS. 8-)
Learn to see with your ears and hear with your eyes
CAUSE, it don't mean a thing, if it aint got that swing.....

http://www.pureartflytying.ning.com
DNicolson

Post by DNicolson » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:22 am

That is a very attractive fly Ray. I'll have to go back to Leisenring's book,
and give a search for old patterns.

Mark, Spiders with cock hackles are West Country style wets, and there are a lot
patterns, some of my favourites. Have a look :-
http://donaldnicolson.webplus.net/page110.html
CreationBear

Post by CreationBear » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:32 am

[quote]Very narrow gold tinsel wound right alongside of the peacock herl rib and in front of it/quote]

That is a great tie.... :) I was wondering if you could elaborate a bit on how you lay down the double rib--I'm thinking a very gentle pas de deux rather than my usual cack-handed "twist""?
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:28 am

Simply outstanding!
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
chase creek

Post by chase creek » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:02 pm

Very nicely tied, Ray.
Everyone in the last IBF swap recieved one of these from Ray - Even better looking in person.
Thanks Ray.
"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability, and
beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise"
Aldo Leopold
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:19 pm

Lovely fly, Ray. Well dressed. Too pretty to fish, the ugly copies will get wet though.

REE
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"