Molten Hemp Larva 1250 (SBS/Tutorial)

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

William Anderson
Site Admin

Molten Hemp Larva 1250 (SBS/Tutorial)

Post by William Anderson » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:43 pm

This is a fly that I put together to see what a hemp body might do. I suspect it would be very effective as a caddis larva, with or without the hot spot.
Might be interesting to try it with the hot spot, then clip it off and see what happens. The hemp is interesting when its wet.

Molten Hemp Larva 1250

Hook: Daiichi 1250 #14
Thread: Griffiths 14/0
Hackle: mottled hen saddle
Hot Spot: yellow fly line backing, melted at the tip, same as the Molten Twist pattern
Body: one strand of a 5 strand natural hemp cord
Thorax: duff from the hackle base

Hackle duff and Hot spot sections. As with the other Molten pattern, approach the tip of the fly line section with a lighter until it just mushrooms/melts. It will go up in flames if you get too close.

You can see the cord sections cut. There is a wet one beside the dry sections. It's easier to work with if you just wet it a bit before tying it in. The hackles shown are prepped for mounting by the stem. You can see the one hackle trimmed to remove the duff.

Tie in the fly line section along the shank so the tip extends just beyond the bend, showing a hint of the braided line.

Tie in the hemp section along the shank and work the thread wraps into a taper as the underbody.

Bring the hemp up the body to the thorax in touching turns. The irregularity of the hemp makes creates a textured surface. If you tie it in wet, it will shrink a bit when it dries. A touch of wax the duff will just suspend on the thread.

A very gentle touch and the duff is ready to be tied in at the thorax.

This was a particularly ugly hackle wrap, but distribution was fine and the duff and fine tying thread allow for a bit of adjustment.

Finished fly

Wet
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Roadkill

Re: Molten Hemp Larva 1250 (SBS/Tutorial)

Post by Roadkill » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:56 pm

Nice fly similar to tying a burlap pattern with a hot spot! I fish a burlap fore and aft which I think the fish may readily take as a stonefly nymph.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:12 pm

Sweet sweet fly, William! Love it. Thanks for the tutorial.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Izaak

Post by Izaak » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:07 pm

W,

You do such a good job with your tutorials! Very nicely done, and the fly looks like a real winner!
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:14 pm

Thanks. Most everyone has seen this from the swap pics, but I told Hank I would post a sequence post, and we don't see a lot of hemp. This is derivative of another fly that I find absolutely killer (WARNING WARNING ACHTUNG!! nymph pic.). which is derivative of Sawyer's Killer Bug.

this is tied with a crochet material that looked buggy to me.

"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:31 pm

Loved the flies, and the SBS. I have heard patterns very similar to this are VERY PRODUCTIVE, I haven't tried to tie any yet though.
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:52 am

Really well done, w.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:04 am

Dub-ya, Howdy;

Interesting, what dia. rope did you take apart to make this ?
I'm likeing the wet view. Looks like it should do some good 'catchin'

Thanks for the SBS, ya done good :D

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:08 pm

Thanks again everyone. I appreciate the feedback.

Hank, in the third pic down you can see the cord, one wet and the others dry. To the left of that you can see the single strand, one of five, taken from the cord. I don't know how else to describe the diameter other than...one strand is roughly the same as button-twist silk, or 2-3 strands of Gossamer Silk roped together, but lest pliable or cooperative, which makes for a very effective body, but a less than elegant pic. :D

At an arts and crafts store I found two types of natural hemp, one is a three strand cord, the other a five strand cord (I guess for a more robust hippy bracelet). The larger five strand is a bit more oatmeal in tone and rougher texture (for male anklets, I guess) so I thought it a better texture for this type of pattern. My plan was to tie some weighted Killer Bug type patterns using it, but the hot spot swap came up at the same time and I thought it was an interesting experiment. Now to see it perform.

I was just looking at an old pic of Carl Pennington's buck skin caddis larva pattern this morning and its very similar. I haven't, but if you searched Hans' site, there might be one posted. It would be an interesting comparitive post to see the hemp, buck skin, Sawyers Killer Bug material and any others that might be similar matched up.

w
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:12 pm

Dub-ya, Howdy;

I glad I asked the question and your reply brought me inline.
Usually, I think in terms of rope when cordage mentioned.

In Boot Camp, we were taught the build-up of a rope;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rope#Laid_or_twisted_rope

Soooooo, before I went out and bought several feet of 2" hawser................ :? :lol:

t
Thanks for the explanation.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin