Soft Hackle Streamer

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Izaak

Re: Soft Hackle Streamer

Post by Izaak » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:21 pm

Ray,

Thanks for posting the step by step and photos. Very helpful and well done! I noticed on Jack Gartside's website that he seemed to stress tying in the quills by the butt end, likewise with the collar feather, whereas you tie the feathers in by their tips. Have you tried both ways, and if so, how do the two compare? Is one easier, less bulk, better result, etc.?

Tom
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:57 pm

Brilliant! I don't think I have the streamer hackle or the marabou, so it looks like on the hunt for streamer materials and some lumber to build an addition to the armoire. :D .

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:32 pm

Tom - I am aware that Jack insisted on tying in by the stem. I have tried his method, but found I preferred the results better when I tyed in by the tip. The hackle just seems to lay down better for me and I had less problems breaking off the marabou plume when it was being wrapped when tyed in by the tip. As I am sure you know, these flies are surprisingly durable fishing flies. I don't remember ever having one of these come apart on me while fishing. Somehow I think the fluffy fibers help protect the wrapped stem.

Although these flies may be a stretch on the flymph forum, I still think they fall within the wide spectrum of soft hackle flies. Thanks for starting this post.

Have you tried soaking the fly and letting it air dry over night? This is a nice way to train the marabou to behave a little better. I find that I get a better minnow profile by doing wetting the fly and letting it slowly air dry.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Izaak

Post by Izaak » Tue May 01, 2012 6:41 am

Ray,

Shortly after my last post I sat down at the tying desk to experiment with tying in the marabou by the butt, and then by the tip, and discovered that you get a slimmer profile by tying in by the tip. Not that either one is better, just different results. I'm guessing that Jack preferred the "fluffier" look. I think his tie might have a bit more action in the water when stripping the fly as the marabou would tend to fluff back up on the pause, then stream back during the strip. Just a guess. I've tied up several in the last few days using several different colors, including your Spectrum leech which I really like. :D

Tom
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Tue May 01, 2012 11:18 am

Great point Tom. I was going for the slimmer profile and had not thought about the action of the fly. Marabou is an inherently soft material, so it already has a lot of action in the water. I need to try to fish some with both types of construction to see if I have a preference. For now, I lean towards the tip-tyed method because for the shape of the fly (more minnow like). Let me know how the Spectrum Leech works for you. I have had reports of success from many places.

Izaak

Post by Izaak » Tue May 01, 2012 1:38 pm

Ray,

Will do on the Spectrum Leech!

One more thing...your collars look really nice and clean. How do you tie in the feather? Tip forward? Any tips on making a nice collar would be appreciated? Step by step photos?! ;) :D
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Tue May 01, 2012 4:42 pm

The hackle is tyed in by the tip (at the V-notch) and then doubled back over the tying thread, to lock it in place. I then grasp the butt end of the feather in one hand, and fold the hackle over the step before wrapping. Wrap the folded hackle feather forward until you get to bare stem. Secure with the tying thread and trim off the remaining stem. Form the head of the fly, whip finish and clip off. I don't think I can give photos, since it is a two handed operation... I'm not that flexible. (humor)

Izaak

Post by Izaak » Tue May 01, 2012 4:57 pm

Ray,

Thanks, that was just right. I thought that was how you were doing it. Three hands would come in "handy" wouldn't it?! :D

Tom