video - Split Thread Technique

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Hans Weilenmann

video - Split Thread Technique

Post by Hans Weilenmann » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:03 pm

A short tutorial where I show the basic split thread technique - a must-have for any flytier's arsenal of techniques, with a wide variety of uses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0R5BMlKZ7I

Please view in high resolution - if able.

Cheers,
Hans W
chase creek

Re: video - Split Thread Technique

Post by chase creek » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:12 pm

Thanks, Hans. Extremely well done, as usual.
I've always been a little frustrated trying to split thread, I'll have to give it another go after seeing this.
"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability, and
beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise"
Aldo Leopold
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:57 pm

Thanks Hans.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:10 pm

Hans, Howdy;

Thanks for bringing this video back to the front.
I've been wrestling with the Seal and Bear's furs
for my swap flies, and have been playing with the split
method you've more than aptly demonstrated, as usual.
:roll: back to the practice fly ... ;)

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:29 am

Hans ~
It appears that the point of the needle you use to split the thread has been slightly bent. Is this just an illusion or have you found that such an offset aids in the splitting process?
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
Hans Weilenmann

Post by Hans Weilenmann » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:03 am

tie2fish wrote:It appears that the point of the needle you use to split the thread has been slightly bent. Is this just an illusion or have you found that such an offset aids in the splitting process?
Very well spotted, Bill - you can pick up your bownie points on the way out! 8-)

The dubbing needle I used for this video is extracted from a friend - he had dropped this C&F tool onto a hard floor, and there is a bend in the very tip as you correctly identified. It came in very handy for this specific video clip.

In order to easiest insert the needle point into the flattened section of thread the needle has to come in perpendicular to the flat thread section. With the slight bend at the needle tip, the tip itself can be perpendicular whereas the handle is not. I chose to use this 'prepped' needle to keep the view onto splitting the thread as clear and clean as possible, and not have the needle handle and my fingers directly behind the thread.

Long winded answer to - some may find the offset tip a help, and some may find they are better off with a straight all the way to tip needle.

As you can see in all the other videos I posted, and where the split thread technique is used, a standard needle works very well. It is the angle (perpendicular) with which the tier pierces the flattened thread which makes this operation easy or less easy.

Cheers,
Hans W
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:36 am

Than you for the clarification, Hans.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:52 am

Hans, I've watched you use this technique many times in the videos and I'm always impressed with your results. I'll try to demonstrate the technique this weekend to see if I can finally get a better handle on it. It's the material distribution and the taper that I have not managed. The fore section of your Bird's Nest Variant is such a great effect. Nicely done.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com