Single and Multi-Fly Displays

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

cassady

Single and Multi-Fly Displays

Post by cassady » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:01 am

After receiving the amazing flies from the Mark Libertone swap (and eagerly anticipating more from the Leisenring swap), I'd really like to display them on the wall near my tying desk, or maybe in my office - but I'm not really sure how to do it well. Given the collected wisdom of the members of this forum, I figured you've solved this puzzle in multiple creative and interesting ways, and I was hoping that some of you might be kind enough to share.

I'd be much obliged to read (or better yet, see) some of the ways folks have made multiple-fly displays. In fact, while I'm making requests, I'd also be obliged to see creative ways to show off single flies as well!

As always, with many thanks, Chris
cassady

Re: Single and Multi-Fly Displays

Post by cassady » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:20 am

To get the party started, here's something I threw together for larger flies...

It's a prototype, so it's not been finished or made with fine materials. It's an old piece of edging that I had routed for a different project, with some plastic piping from the hobby shop. The flies are fastened with a piece of old tippet looped around the hook and passed through the tube. The friction between the tube and the hole holds the fly. Were I to take this past the prototype stage, I'd switch over to copper or brass tubing, and of course finish the base.
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:24 am

That's an ambitious project. Here's something more modest that works pretty well ...

http://waterswest.com/store/index.php?m ... cts_id=924
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
tjd

Post by tjd » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:02 pm

Hi Chris,

I've mounted some swap sets in the past using a deep frame, small corks (panfish popper sized) and an appropriate color of background paper, and a piece of matting board all found at the local craft store.

Alternatives to the cork are plexiglass, wooden, or another rod. I measure out the display, glue the cork to the background, and mount the flies.

Usually the cost for the average swap set of trout sized patterns is $10 - $15...pretty reasonable, and a nice way to display a set of flies. I'm not terribly talented, artistic, or crafty, but I've been pleased with the results done up in this manner.

Best,

Tim
zen leecher

Post by zen leecher » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:14 pm

I use 8" x 6" Rikers boxes and ordered them in a quantity of 12 for $3.60 each before shipping.
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:12 pm

I have seen a display stand similar to the one in your photograph where the tubes are replaced with the kind of sprung loaded plastic "hackle pliers" you see Hans use in his videos.
I read somewhere you can buy bulk smaller versions of these at Radioshack?
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
Jerry G

Post by Jerry G » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:26 pm

Mataura mayfly wrote:I have seen a display stand similar to the one in your photograph where the tubes are replaced with the kind of sprung loaded plastic "hackle pliers" you see Hans use in his videos.
I read somewhere you can buy bulk smaller versions of these at Radioshack?
I'm not so sure about bulk however the last that I bought from Radio Shack were sold two to a pack.

Regards, Jerry
cassady

Post by cassady » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:05 pm

Riker's boxes... *that's* what those are called! I think I should be able to work something around that idea.

Many thanks for all the replies.

I've seen the ones made from the multimeter clip thingies -- those are nice for quick changes (and they work well as hackle pliers). They're available *very* cheap in quantity on ebay (far, far cheaper than Radio Shack). I keep them around the desk to hold examples of stuff I'm working on (or trying to copy!)... works better than a cork for smaller flies.
tjd

Post by tjd » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:32 am

Yes, but the need for corks to stick my flies in gives me another good reason to buy wine!
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:38 am

tjd wrote:Yes, but the need for corks to stick my flies in gives me another good reason to buy wine!
What, you haven't gone all modern yet and have screw top wine bottles??? :lol: :P
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.