Displaying Flies (Mary Dette March Brown Dry)

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

letumgo
Site Admin

Displaying Flies (Mary Dette March Brown Dry)

Post by letumgo » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:03 pm

Chris Lee (cassidy) recently made a post about mounting flies for display. Here is a method I came up with to display one of my souvenirs from my first trip to Roscoe (a March Brown Catskill Dry Fly, tyed by Mary Dette).

I wanted a method of making it appear the fly was balanced on the end of a post, so I used small diameter copper tubing (used to make tube flies) and a dental floss threader. I simply cut the copper tubing to the desired length, drilled a hole thru the center of the mounting base. A drop of superglue holds the copper tube in place. I then threaded one of those blue plastic dental floss threaders thru the center of the copper tube and pulled down to form a small loop, which slipped over the point of the hook. I drew the loop tight and it holds the fly in place, without need for any adhesive which could damage the fly. I trimmed off the excess dental floss threader (bottom side) and add a small drop of superglue to hold things in place.

If you look closely, you can see the small blue loop holding the fly at the top of the copper tubing. There is enough tension to hold the fly securely in place, yet allow the fly to be tilted/moved to get it just where you want it. Having the fly elevated like this also ensures nothing will touch the barbs of the tail and hackle, to matt or disfigure the fly. The fly will remain just like it came off Mary's vise...Perfect...

Here is a photo I took of Mary, as she tyed March Brown Catskill dry flies. She was in the process of completing an order for some guy in Texas.

A photo of me standing next to Mary Dette (Photo taken by our late friend Mark Romero).
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
DUBBN

Re: Displaying Flies (Mary Dette March Brown Dry)

Post by DUBBN » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:05 pm

Outstanding Ray! What a classy set up!
chase creek

Post by chase creek » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:15 pm

"Classy" is a perfect description!
I'm sure that occupies a place of honor in the Letumgo Fly Tying Emporium.
"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability, and
beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise"
Aldo Leopold
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:20 pm

Thanks Wayne & Rodger. Yes, Mary's fly in displayed above my tying desk, as a visual reminder of the trip. One of these days I need to print out the photos to go along with it.

gingerdun

Post by gingerdun » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:17 pm

Ray, this is wonderful. Very clever and appropriate.
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:46 pm

Very cool.
For a special fly from a tier of some note, I can think of no better display. Well engineered my friend. ;)

Just a thought. Copper of the tube in direct contact with the hook- I know there is no real moisture to worry about, but is there any chance of dissimilar metal corrosion happening between the two? A spot of clear silicone rubber cement or similar would negate this?
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:25 pm

Ray ~ That is outstanding! A fitting tribute to the work of an American tying icon.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:26 pm

Jeff - Galvanic corrosion? Interesting. Perhaps I should have used aluminum tubing, which has a lower anodic index than carbon steel. I originally chose copper tubing, because I liked the look. I though about using clear plastic tubing, but the plastic did not jive with the aesthetics of the display. I will keep a close eye on the fly over the next couple years. If I see any evidence of corrosion to the hook, I will replace it with an aluminum post.

redietz

Post by redietz » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:37 pm

letumgo wrote:Jeff - Galvanic corrosion? Interesting. Perhaps I should have used aluminum tubing, which has a lower anodic index than carbon steel. I originally chose copper tubing, because I liked the look. I though about using clear plastic tubing, but the plastic did not jive with the aesthetics of the display. I will keep a close eye on the fly over the next couple years. If I see any evidence of corrosion to the hook, I will replace it with an aluminum post.
Couldn't you just coat the copper with clear acrylic and not worry about it?
Bob
cassady

Post by cassady » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:38 pm

Very elegant, Ray!

I used basically the same attachment method with the version I posted -- i made sure the plastic tubing (which I had on hand for tube flies as well) fit tight in the drilled hole, and used light tippet looped around the hook, down through the tube, and caught between the tube and the hole (which has to be relatively tight). Pushing the tube into the hole with the tippet caught between also adds a bit of tension, and keeps the fly tight. I figured this way I could swap flies out.

I knew you'd have something inventive!

I also appreciated all the other designs folks showed, as well! Many thanks to all.

CRL