Tutorials

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Jim Slattery
Site Admin

Tutorials

Post by Jim Slattery » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:46 pm

Old Hat posted an outstanding photo on our new Nymph forum. In the discussion Carl states that he wrote an article that was to be published elsewhere on line and is considering having the the unpublished portions posted here. This leads to the question do we want to have a Article/Tutorial section on the Flymph Forum? Think about all of the great posts we have had on the forum , such as Hans' videos and others. How exclusive do we want it? I think it should be a members only section.
What are your thoughts?
Jim
Hans Weilenmann

Re: Tutorials

Post by Hans Weilenmann » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:30 pm

Jim,

I second a tutorial section. I disagree with you on limitations.

I feel this is about sharing, and if it came to be, the Tutorials board should be open.

Cheers,
Hans
Jim Slattery
Site Admin

Post by Jim Slattery » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:37 pm

Duly noted Hans....and I can't disagree with your position.
Would you agree and abide with a democratic solution?
Jim
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:08 pm

I see where you are coming from Jim. I however have the mindset that too much organization (that is what this would be: organizing content) leads to clutter :D, especially on a website. I think material like this works just fine in the Lodge or Patterns section if relevant.

just my .02
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
Hans Weilenmann

Post by Hans Weilenmann » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:08 pm

Jim Slattery wrote:Duly noted Hans....and I can't disagree with your position.
Would you agree and abide with a democratic solution?
Jim
*chuckle*

Jim, of course I will abide by a democratic arrived conclusion. I am Swiss, remember - we invented democracy. (Don't believe the claims by the ancient Greeks. Lies, all lies... 8-) )

Mind you, in my case with the video tutorial on Youtube, I think public access for those so inclined is pretty much a sure thing.

Cheers,
Hans W
Jim Slattery
Site Admin

Post by Jim Slattery » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:48 pm

Duly noted and registered Hans.

Old Hat,
I can understand. Too many topics leads to too much clutter. I think that tutorials and Articles need to be organized for easier access. We have some excellent stuff posted on the site that is buried granted what is to say it wouldn't get buried under a new topic. My thinking is at least it will be under one roof and a user wouldn't have to sift through too much stuff to find tutorial and article type stuff. Resources may be a good spot for it. A new title for that section could be Articles,Tutorials and Resources.
Just my thoughts
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:19 pm

Jim S. Howdy;

Back in November we had a discussion about adding a Classics Forum to the mix.
http://flymphforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5195
Your post at the end of the thread was indicative of what we now have, a new addition
devoted to the nymphs. Now a discussion about a Tutorials... Will we be seeing the addition
of chronomids next? I'm not trying to be facetious nor snide, merely inquisitive.

I used to be involved with Blackpowder pursuits and was active on on forum as I am now with
this one. http://traditionalmuzzleloadingcheap.com/forum/
Started out with a nice comfortable amount of forums to peruse then started to grow
to an all day event to read all the posts on all of the forums, sub forums and baby forums.
If you count them all there are somewhere near 84 of them and I didn't count the babies.

Ray has been duly diligent about posting the tutorials into the Reference child forum of the
Links forum. http://flymphforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2293
Admittedly, it would be nicer if the fly names were included (sorry Ray, but it
would save time and lower frustration levels a tad), but there they are already and they ain't
really buried.

Just a few thoughts as they came to my mind, such as it is...

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:28 pm

I was busy typing a response to this topic while Hank was in the process of posting his that says essentially what I had intended to point out -- there is already a collection of links to a fairly large number of tutorials and/or SBS instructions under the "Reference" section on this Forum: http://www.flymphforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2293.

This, of course, does not preclude the formation of a separate forum section if that appeals to folks, but it is important to know that much of this kind of instructional information that was posted previously has been "saved" through the efforts of Ray Tucker.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:58 pm

Jim, are you snowed in at the moment and suffering from Cabin Fever? :lol:
More suggested changes in 24 hours than there has been since I joined up!

I am not sure I will ever tie well enough to be able to post tutorials, hats off to those that can.
I see where you are coming from in regard to members only and with some of the more "known" members- they often post the exact tutorials or videos on other forums/youtube so public access can be gained from elsewhere.
For us novices, it might be easier to post first time tutorials in a "members only" section until confidence is gained and self belief issues are overcome. :oops:
There may be a more thorough across the board input if it were just members viewing the posts.
The thing to watch is slight variations of classics. Too often it is easy to do an internet search on a classic fly pattern and come up with MANY variations, some exact replications of originals, some close, some note the variation from original, some don't and then a few are just damn right lies.
With SBS's or tutorial video, one has to be sure to either depict the original or note the variations, or it may lead to further confusion/obscurity/bastardisation of classics to which there may not be a lot of pictorial reference.
For "new" invented patterns..... none of the above really applies. :)
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
Jim Slattery
Site Admin

Post by Jim Slattery » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:48 am

Hi Hank + all,
I would imagine that the only discussions on the tutorials would be on the actual given tutorial post. Chronomids should already be covered and included in Nymphs as well as wingless wets.
After looking around deeper into the forum and what do you know there is a section that has tutorials in it. I never knew it was there.The first 20 or so we have no indication of what they are about unless we open them up and see what's in side. So changing the title of Links to Articles, Tutorials ,Resources and Links would make it easier for new members and old one like me to know what is contained in the sub forum. The sub forum can be easily formatted into 3 to 6 ( however many is actually needed) forum titles such as Step By Step tutorials, Video Tutorials, Material data base, Members Articles and Links. There is only a handful of subject titles needed. The actual submissions / postings would have to be approved by administrators and moderators or such before they were actually posted.This would control the scope and quality of the content. Again this is already being done. Getting this resource a little more organized and clarified shouldn't be too difficult.

There is only so many topics/subjects that this forum can maintain or sustain without getting ridiculous and cluttered and we are close very to the limit as it stands.

No snow on the ground in Idaho Falls and I have been out and about in the beautiful town I live in. Actually I have a brief moment of relaxation at the moment.

I would like to give a giant KUDOS to Ray Tucker for doing the hard work he has done on the forum as well as William Anderson. Also the man behind the scenes Ron Eagle Elk. Without these guys the forum would not be what it has become today. These guys should be applauded for all their unselfish hard work.