leisenring lift

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

fflutterffly

leisenring lift

Post by fflutterffly » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:26 am

I thought it might be an interesting project if a forum member did a YouTube segment on the Leisenring Lift.
"Every day a Victory, Every year a Triumph" Dan Levin (My Father)
hankaye

Re: leisenring lift

Post by hankaye » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:10 am

fflutterffly, Howdy;

Sounds like a good project for you and Karen,
Looking forward to seeing it. :D ..

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:31 am

You're right, this sounds like a great project. It would require good planning and some coordination from some tech folks but doable. Casting demos are the easiest to film I see, followed by shooting dry fly and nymphing action, but filming the lift would really be a challenge. I'd like to try it but I don't know when or where and assembling a crew, good conditions amd cooperative targets is a weekend project. I guess a good day out and a head mounted Go Cam could work from above, but only show the intentions of the cast and hopefully the resulting catch but again would not reach the dynamics of the flies action and the trout reaction. Definitely worth a shot. It's something to think about. If I could somehow managed the equipment purchase and a destination trip to be sponsored...I'm your man. =) more than likely we're looking for someone living in good conditions with very specific knowledge. There must be someone out there. I would love to see it.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:21 pm

Would be very cool...... but what exactly are you wanting to see?
The above water rod control/ line direction/ finish, so you can understand the method from seeing it being done as a fisher fishes the cast?
The fly/flies moving through the water at a lower level and then rising as they reach the end of the swing and the fisher lifts the rod- so you can see the underwater effect of fishing the cast and how the flies behave?
Or, are you wishing to see the underwater capture of the end of the cast- as the flies rise to a holding fish and said fish comes out to take the lifting fly?

All are possible. Some just more complicated.
Actually getting into the fishes environment with them is easier than trying to observe them from above. Once in/under the water it is not only easier to see the fish, they are easier to approach and less likely to spook...... not so easy to cast a fly rod under water..... but I digress.
Filming the underwater cast and the fish taking would not be impossible with a pole cam or a diver in the water with a waterproof camera...... but it would be a lot easier to do an above water casting demonstration/method/talk through "how to" clip. ;)
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
fflutterffly

Post by fflutterffly » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:28 pm

I often fish what I THINK is the Leisenring Lift. I would love to actually see if 1) I am doing it correctly as I have interpreted it or 2) to see the correct way to do it. That's what I'd be looking for.
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:55 pm

fflutterffly wrote:I often fish what I THINK is the Leisenring Lift. I would love to actually see if 1) I am doing it correctly as I have interpreted it or 2) to see the correct way to do it. That's what I'd be looking for.
Is that not what we all do already? What WE think is correct? :lol:
Nobody showed me how to "do it" I am just going on what I have read and seen in a few videos...... I "think" it is kind of right..... or at least works on the odd occasion!
Might be easier if you took some video of how you do it now and others could add advice or critique?
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
fflutterffly

Post by fflutterffly » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:32 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: If California had any water and I could walk this would be something I'd like to try. I have the GoPro and rods, but I'd hate to put something on YouTube that was inherently wrong just because of my inept interpretation of something I read. Within one of my favorite books in my library, The Art of Tying the Wet Fly and Fishing the Flymph, page 152, there is a photo of Mr. Hidy raising his tip to bring the flymph through the water column, but I'm not sure if he is doing so from the upstream cast.

My understanding of the LL is: you cast upstream and as the fly drifts back towards you simply lift the tip to take up the slack. (much like you would a tenkara rod)

Is this wrong?
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:21 am

fflutterffly, Howdy;

In my copy (Third Printing 1973), the key phrases are on pg. 155, where it
states;
"The flymph may be fished directly upstream but the retrieve of the
line is much easier in casting diagonally upstream or across so the flymph may
swing a little in arriving at the feeding zone of a trout." (my italics).

However in Chapter 12, on pg. 123, In Leisenring's description of his method
he states " I cast my fly up and across about 15 feet or more above where the
big trout is located, depending on the pool and stream. The fly sinks to the bottom,
progressing along naturally as I follow it with my rod, allowing no slack in the line
but being careful not to pull against it and cause it to move unnaturally. The fly
comes straight down to him bumpety- bump over the gravel and stones along the
bottom with the current. Now watch thefly. It is almost to him, and would only
have to travel about four more feet to pass right by his nose without his looking at
it unless it can be made to appear alive and escaping. At this point the progress of
the rod following the fly is checked, and the pressure of the water against the
stationary line and leader is slowly lifting the fly. Now the fly becomes slightly
efficient or animated and deadly, and the trout notices it. The hackles or legs
begin to work, opening and closing, and our trout is backing downstream in order
to watch the fly a little more, because he is not quite persuaded as yet. Now you
can see the fly become even more deadly. As the water flows against the line the
fly rises higher off the bottom and the hackle is working in every fiber. It will jump
out of the water in a minute, now, and the trout is coming for it. Bang! He's got it."

It's my opinion that that is pretty much the key to it. The trout dosen't
necessarily have to be nor need to be below you, as long as you can figure
out where it is and get the "Lift" going just in front of it is the key bit.
Like I said, that's my opinion and I'll stick to it. Your mileage may vary...

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
Jerry G

Post by Jerry G » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:09 am

Without the book here to read I am wondering if when reading Mr. Leisenring's description of various tactics we are assuming each tactic employs the Leisenring lift?

Regards, Jerry

Jerry, I would not make that assumption. Hidy says elsewhere that JL used lots of different tactics as water and conditions determined. Also some interesting techniques for garden hackle. :D
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:38 pm

I agree, a video would be wonderful. I have never seen a good video on this. I would really like to see the correct way to go about it.