LaFontaine Diving Caddis SBS

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

ScottP

LaFontaine Diving Caddis SBS

Post by ScottP » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:18 am

Put this one together a while back; simple to tie, catches fish. This one's for the Hydropsyche hatch; adjust colors and sizes to meet your needs

hook - Mustad 3906B #16
thread - Uni 8/0 camel
butt - antron dubbing green
body - zelon dubbing tan
underwing - hen hackle fibers
overwing - Congo Hair beige
hackle - hen

mash barb and attach thread 1 hook eye width back; wrap back to point above hook barb

apply some dubbing to thread

dub a small ball for butt/egg sac

apply some more dubbing for body, keep it loose; original fly used touch dub for the body (use whichever you prefer; split thread is an option, too)

wrap body to initial tie in point

pull off some fibers from hen hackle for underwing; let tips extend a bit beyond hook bend and tie in

trim butts and tie in a few strands of Congo Hair (or whatever sparkle yarn you prefer); fold back, tie down and trim even with underwing

prep a hen hackle feather (I like the tips to extend back to the hook bend); tie in by tip (trim tip after hackle is wound)

wrap hackle, tie off, whip finish, SHHAN and go look for some egg layers

Regards,
Scott
tie2fish

Re: LaFontaine Diving Caddis SBS

Post by tie2fish » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:03 am

Very nice take on a proven pattern, Scott. BTW, that's some awesome hen hackle you have there -- looks like a combo of red grouse and golden plover. Is it Brahma and where did you find it?
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
ScottP

Post by ScottP » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:31 pm

Thanks. The hackle is an Indian hen back I bought years ago; most of the feathers are much bigger but there are a few on it that will tie down this small.

Regards,
Scott
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:37 pm

This looks like a pattern that could easily load a box. I still need to get a copy of lafontain's caddis book. It's a nice versatile combination. Nicely presented, Scott. Thanks.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:40 am

Nice fly, but as I recall Gary stressed using all clear reflective Antron fibers for the overwing not the colored Antron body yarn to represent the bright gas bubble of the diving adult. ;) I think crinkled Zelon would be a modern substitute.
ScottP

Post by ScottP » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:51 am

Roadkill wrote:as I recall Gary stressed using all clear reflective Antron fibers for the overwing not the colored Antron body yarn to represent the bright gas bubble of the diving adult. ;) I think crinkled Zelon would be a modern substitute.
He also tied it with dry fly hackle, which I should have noted. The antron (or zelon, as you mentioned) would work great; didn't have any (this was tied on the road), and I've had pretty good luck with Congo Hair underwings/shucks so that's what I went with.

Regards,
Scott