Taking a cane rod apart with cold hands

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

redietz

Re: Taking a cane rod apart with cold hands

Post by redietz » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:17 pm

ThirdMeadow wrote: I've used that method also. One time my grip on the tip section slipped due to weak fingers, and my ever-so-strong and speedy legs quickly removed the adjacent snake guide on the rod. That's when my search for improved grippers got serious. --Phil
I find the snake guide does a wonderful egg slicer number my on fingers when they slip. I anointed several rods with blood.
Bob
PhilA

Post by PhilA » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:29 pm

Hans Weilenmann wrote: *chuckle*
I did say "in a controlled and deliberate manner."... 8-)

Cheers,
Hans W
*chuckle in return*
Indeed you did. I was quite deliberate. I deliberately packed up the rod and sent it to the maker for repair ... after deliberately cursing my stupidity.
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:39 pm

I too was going to suggest the behind the knees trick, good advice Hans. ;)

As to "grippers" you should be able to find (fairly cheaply), at one of the hardware or department stores, sheets of "perforated" drawer liner or shelf liner. It is a rubber/foam sheet that almost looks like an open weave of around 3/16" strands. Sold in sheets that suit the metal tool box drawers that you might see a mechanic keep his tools in.

Something like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn6-1SnXoeQ

5' X 12" should last a lifetime when cut into maybe 4" X 4" squares.
They give you something for cold hands to purchase on, especially using behind the knee trick.
Also, make sure your ferrules are clean- really clean, inside the female especially. Don't use wax on the male (can "set-up when cold and "glue" the ferrules together and it also collects small particles that can be introduced/deposited.
Always pull in a straight line and do not twist (as others have already said- but I decided to reinforce ;) )
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:46 am

Would you mind if I move this thead into the tutorial section? There are great tips here, which will get lost in the general Fishing Cabin.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:25 am

Ray, this thread?
I am not sure it warrants it- yet. Most of the replies have come from members who are reasonably grounded in the care/wants/needs of split cane rods versus the rest and thus are already aware of most of the tricks of the trade.
Better for the tutorial section would be a s-b-s photo display of the various techniques discussed above. It could then be added to with a complete montage of care for the split cane rod, do's and do not's (like do not assemble and wave a split cane rod in your den when the ceiling fan is on.........)
I can see the merit for new owners, but could be more to offer than what is involved here?

Well that is my 2C worth......
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
raven4ns

Post by raven4ns » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:58 am

For those of us who are new to cane rods, something of that nature would be a big help. I have asked a number of questions that many who read them would question my intelligence but when you are starting with no knowledge on a subject they do sound stupid. Besides, I can sound stupid even when I do know a lot about a topic.... :lol: .
All the best,

Tim
https://www.flickr.com/photos/44673530@N04/
The measure of a man is not how many times he gets knocked down, but how many times he gets back up.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:21 pm

Tim - I am on the "learning side of the equation" too. I am also new to the world of bamboo fly rods, so questions like your's bring out a lot of useful information. I plan on making a set of Phil's (ThirdMeadow) dowel and gripper tool. That is one of the thing I like best about this forum. The mix of experience levels, and willingness to share information.

For example, Bob's comment about getting cut on a snake guide, probably saved me from a trip to the doctors office at some point in the future. I had not even considered the safety aspect of carefully pulling the rod apart. I was primarily focused on not breaking the rod when pulling the sections apart. (Thanks Bob)

Ruard

Post by Ruard » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:32 pm

I use the behind the knees trick also with carbon rods, because they can be also very tight.

Greeting

Ruard
There will allways be a solution.
http://www.aflyinholland.nl
Greenwell

Post by Greenwell » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:41 pm

The "rod behind the legs" method of separation has accounted for a great deal of damage to fine rods over the years. I've seen it happen and I don't recommend using it.

In order to have the least amount of trouble with metal ferrules first make sure they are clean before joining the rod. A little rubbing alcohol on a Q-Tip can be used to clean the female ferrule/s and the same on a soft cloth will do for the male/s. Never use an abrasive like emery cloth on ferrules but if they are heavily tarnished from neglect a little silver polish on a soft cloth will clean them without harming the ferrule fit. A bit of silver polish on a Q-Tip will clean the barrel of the female ferrule, then use a clean Q-Tip to remove any polish left behind. Use a drop on a soft cloth for the males and polish off any remaining with a clean cloth.

Never use oil, grease, etc. on the ferrules and never, never, rub the male ferrule on the side of your nose to "lubricate" it. This is an old piece of fisherman's lore that will do much more damage than good. Oil or grease will form a vacuum and can make dismounting the rod almost impossible, plus the salt in the oil from one's skin can corrode the metal.

If the ferrules are tight, especially on a new or lightly used rod, rub a little hard bar soap on the male/s before joining the rod. Something like Ivory is perfect and the little bars of soap from motels are convenient to carry. Put one in a small zip-lock bag to keep it dry and carry it in your vest.

The best way to dismount a rod is to grip the sections as far apart as possible, one hand on the butt below the female ferrule and one gripping the tip just above the male ferrule. Point the rod away from yourself with the tip at an upward angle and pull straight. You should only have to pull a few inches to get it apart. NEVER TWIST! The important thing is to pull straight. Make sure both the rod and your hands are as dry as possible. I make it a habit to rub my hands on my pants or shirt, or dry them with a cloth or paper towel before dismounting a rod. Make sure to dry the rod with a soft cloth or towel too. Do this even if using rod grips.

Sometimes if the rod was put together when it was warm and then used in cold weather it can be hard to dismount. I wrap my hand around the ferrules for a few minutes to warm them and this usually does the trick.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:50 pm

Excellent advice John. After reading your post, I plan to carefully clean my ferrules as you have suggested before using my bamboo rod again. Thank you.