Champagne Cork + Large Magnets = Fly Holder

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

letumgo
Site Admin

Champagne Cork + Large Magnets = Fly Holder

Post by letumgo » Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:07 pm

I had a couple old champagne corks lying around and decided to superglue a large magnet on the bottom, to make a fly holder for the base of my vice.

Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Eric Peper

Re: Champagne Cork + Large Magnets = Fly Holder

Post by Eric Peper » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:45 am

Wine corks are all over my tying area to hold bodkins, flies, hooks, anything I can stick in 'em. I use small pieces of adhesive-backed velcro applied to the cork and surface so I can vary the locations.

Eric
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:46 pm

This is nice Ray! You wouldn't have been inspired (even slightly?) by my cork displays at Roscoe #1 would ya? No, I think your creative mind has been at it again and you have come up with a genuinely good idea! Great work friend! Eric, I would like to see your corks as well! I will try and snap a few photos and post them as well very soon!
Dougsden
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
Eric Peper

Post by Eric Peper » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:10 am

Here's a very bad pic showing three corks attached to the granite base for my Regal. Bodkin is stuck in right hand one. You cannot see the magnetized needle in the center one that I use for picking up hooks. Left hand one is for finished flies. That white thing in the foreground is the cap to a pill bottle (also attached with velcro tape) that I use as a hook tray. On top of the desk are two telescoping magnets that I've found invaluable for recovering hooks and tools that somehow escape from where I placed them.

Eric
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:33 am

These remind me of the wine cork "trees" I used to make for our club auctions. Wooden base with about 5-10 pieces of heavy gauge wire coming out of the center, each with a wine cork and selection of flies on the tip.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
chase creek

Post by chase creek » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:12 pm

You guys are allowed to have wine? ? :D :D
"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability, and
beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise"
Aldo Leopold
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:40 pm

Ray,

That is a great idea but I put too many holes in them to last very long when I am on a tying spree. And besides I would have to add some metal to my tying bench to hold the magnetic corks. ;)
ImageIMGP9652 by William Lovelace, on Flickr

Most of my hooks and flies are kept on self sticking magnetic strips mounted on my tying benches or scraps left over from my woodshop days...
ImageIMGP0177 by William Lovelace, on Flickr