North Country Greenwell's Glory

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

redsedge

Re: North Country Greenwell's Glory

Post by redsedge » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:47 am

If this be a Glanrhos wing might it get a pass and be
allowed in the house? Exquisitely tied Greenwells I must say.
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:52 am

Old Hat wrote:

Not a cock hackle. It is a Whiting genetic hen cape hackle.

My word, I have six genetic capes from Whiting, purchased in the last 18 months. None even approach the thin rooster like barbules of yours.

Quality material, and perfect technique are on display here with your patterns. Very well done!
Izaak

Post by Izaak » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:36 am

Beautiful flies! The sparse hackle sure makes them look alive.

Tom
Stendalen

Post by Stendalen » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:17 am

Excellent. Thanks for this inspiration.
M
"...because it enriches my soul..."
https://www.facebook.com/stendalenflyfish/
gingerdun

Post by gingerdun » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:14 am

Carl,
This is a perfect little spider, with a fine hackle.
Can you give a little background on why you choose these handsome, wide-gape hooks for spiders?
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:03 pm

Thanks everyone.

Lance these are just few Partridge spider hooks that I was trying. I ordered a package in #14 and #16 to try them. I really like the shape for it's traditional appearance and for the fact it is light wire and a wide gape. I think for fishing upstream and hooking ability these are features that I prefer. Fits this style very well. However, I have heard conflicting reports on these partridge hooks and their functional ability. I haven't tried them yet so we will see. They definitely don't fit Stewart's description of the best shape as I discussed in your Pale Dun thread. In my experience, my favorite hook for this type of fly has been Tiemco's 111. It is a light wire, short shank, wide gape hook. I like the fact that it has a true short straight shank and not one that is slightly curved. It is not one that you see used a lot but is a fine hook. Another hook for upstream spiders that I came across last year and I am growing fond of is the Owner Mosquito hook. It is traditionally for bait but is made in a #12 and #14. It is a good hook that you can tie a smaller fly on. Like a size #16 or #18 on the #14 mosquito hook. Has an interesting shape that hooked very well for me last year. It has a slightly up turned eye, wide gape and light wire. The price is very reasonable as well.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:18 pm

Old Hat, the second set you posted are outstanding as well. I am a bit confused on them. I don't recall this pattern before. Devil's Crook? That is the name?
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:55 pm

Kelly L. wrote:Old Hat, the second set you posted are outstanding as well. I am a bit confused on them. I don't recall this pattern before. Devil's Crook? That is the name?
Yes, Devil Crook is the name of the pattern. So Devil Crook's would be more appropriate. You can find it in Harding's A Guide to North Country Flies and How to Tie Them. He says the pattern dates to the 1840's and was originally published in the Fishing Gazette and coming from a Stephen Braithwaite. It is one of only a handful of patterns I guess that calls for partridge quill for the wings.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
gingerdun

Post by gingerdun » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:58 pm

Carl,
Thanks for the commentary on hooks. You are the first person to tell me about the Owner Mosquito bait hook, and its suitability for spiders (or worms). If they catch wind of this crossover to fly tying, who knows? Maybe they'll change their marketing strategy?
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:19 pm

gingerdun wrote:Carl,
Thanks for the commentary on hooks. You are the first person to tell me about the Owner Mosquito bait hook, and its suitability for spiders (or worms). If they catch wind of this crossover to fly tying, who knows? Maybe they'll change their marketing strategy?
No problem. Don't give it too much wait though. :D

The bicolor spider I posted recently was on the owner mosquito hook
Bicolor Spider.jpg
Bicolor Spider.jpg (174.43 KiB) Viewed 6278 times