Ten Different Schools Swap

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

letumgo
Site Admin

Ten Different Schools Swap

Post by letumgo » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:14 pm

Tim Didas let me borrow one of his books earlier this year. The book is entitled "Skues on Trout: Observations from an Angler Naturalist" by Paul Schullery, G. E. M. Skues (part of the mini "Fly-Fishing Classics Series"). When I was reading the book, I came across an interesting illustration (see photo below)

I loved how it showed the same fly, tyed in many different styles, or as Skues said "schools".

I think it would be interesting to see versions of each of these flies from members of this forum. Although many of the flies have wings, they are all close cousins. Anyone care to submit a fly tyed in one of the schools? Anyone adventurous enough to try them all?

SWAP RULES - TO BE UPDATED AS THE SWAP PROGRESSES

DEADLINE: September 30th, 2014 (All the swap flies must be IN MY HANDS by this date. Please plan accordingly.)
ALL SWAPPERS WILL PROVIDE SELF ADDRESSED RETURN ENVELOPE AND INCLUDE POSTAGE FOR RETURN SHIPMENT
TOTAL NUMBER OF SWAPPERS: Still to be determined - We do not need to limit this to ten swappers, if there is enough interest.

PATTERN: "the Large Dark Spring Olive or Blue Dun" (not the "Iron Blue Dun")
(See historical references in this post by John Shaner) - http://www.flymphforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... =10#p68644

Here is a list of the swappers so far:
1) letumgo (Derbyshire style) - Swapmeister's flies are done. :D
2) zen leecher (Yorkshire style) - Flies received! :D
3) cassady (Clyde style) - Flies received! :D
4) William Anderson (Tummel style) - Flies received! :D
5) tie2fish (Usk Naylor style) - Flies recieved! :D
6) Smuggler (Devon style) - Flies received! :D
7) Old Hat (Tweed) - Flies received! :D
8) Ruard (Clyde) - Flies received! :D
9) cicvara (Clyde) - Flies received! :D

Pick which ever style (school) interests you. Duplication of schools is okay by me.

For those doing historical research on the patterns, I strongly encourage you to share what you find with us in this thread. If you find any interesting references, please share them here.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
tie2fish

Re: Ten Different Schools

Post by tie2fish » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:10 am

Not right before W. Yellowstone ...
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
fflutterffly

Post by fflutterffly » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:31 pm

Who the hell are you!!!!!???? You're like a pusher man. Stop with the interesting flies. You know we're all addicts and insecure about 'having enough of the right flies.' I can sleep well knowing I don't have one of those flies in my box, nor will I have any for yellowstone.
"Every day a Victory, Every year a Triumph" Dan Levin (My Father)
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:01 pm

Ariel - Come on... Try just one... You know you wanna... :twisted: :D :lol: ;)

Smuggler

Post by Smuggler » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:01 pm

I remember reading this little book a couple months ago and when I can to this page I stopped. Absolutely amazing really, that in such a small area of the world flies were designed in so many different ways that were deemed "correct" or "imitative" to that areas water-shed(s). Sometimes I flip open that book to read that little segment from time to time.

I've actually tried to tie a couple of these styles, no idea where I have them stored though.
UC Steve

Post by UC Steve » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:43 pm

I smile at the Victorian English propensity to put everything in a proper box. Even Skues. Schools... Okay, I can see the possibility for regional styles developing in the relative isolation of the 19th century, however regionality does not entirely take into account the nuances/abilities of individual designer/anglers interpreting through their own personal perspectives, as we see in our own time. Could the 19th century English tyers have possibly been as militant as Skues suggests? I am led to believe that angler/writers tend to drive angling history as they'd like to see it, particularly 19th century writers -- while non-writer angler/designers go on about their parallel, unsung business. Just my own take.
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:11 pm

Ray, what is the pattern for these? Material foundation?
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:26 pm

http://softhacklepatternbook.blogspot.c ... k.html?m=1

Carl - The pattern is an Iron Blue Dun. I'd guess that Skues recipe would be the one to start with.

letumgo
Site Admin

Swap Idea - Ten Different Schools

Post by letumgo » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:00 pm

Would anyone be interested in having a swap based around the 10 different tying schools shown in Skues diagram (see initial post in this thread). I'm thinking that we could have maybe a have each swapper pick a different school (style). Ideally we could cover all ten schools in the swap. If there is enough interest, we can work out the details (number of swappers, how many flies to submit, deadlines, etc.).

What say you?

zen leecher

Post by zen leecher » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:49 pm

I may be interested but this would require a lot of research.