Large Dark Olive (Tweed)

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Old Hat

Large Dark Olive (Tweed)

Post by Old Hat » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:53 pm

I think this is going to be my contribution to the Ten Different Schools Swap. I am attempting a the "Tweed" style of the Large Dark Olive. I am not using an established pattern but creating my own and going off pictures that I have found of duns of the insect. I used a light brown silk waxed with cobbler's wax for the body, light olive silk for the rib and Chukar wing fibers for the wings. The hackle is dark dun hen. I tied this on a #12 Partridge wet hook that I had sitting around. I don't know the number for the hook. The hooks had a reversed bend to them which I straightened. The package I bought only said Partridge Wet Fly Hooks.

I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
Smuggler

Re: Large Dark Olive (Tweed)

Post by Smuggler » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:21 pm

That looks incredible, nice job.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:31 am

Jaw dropping! Simply perfect.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:57 am

Excellent in all respects. A lovely pattern.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:28 am

Carl, this is a very nice imitation to the image you provided earlier. This is such a sparse and thoughtful assembly. Beautiful tones and nicely tied.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
zen leecher

Post by zen leecher » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:56 am

Nice looking fly. I haven't found many uses for chukar but never thought of the wing feathers. I've always tried the rumps ala the carey special.
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:03 am

Thanks Gentlemen. I may thin out the rib just a tad, but then again it's a nice little contrast for segmentation. When wet it is not so pronounced. I have been having the worst time trying to get the wings to separate the way I want. the wings are formed with a double fold. Cut 4x the width of material, fold in half and then half again. Tie the bunch in then try to split them evenly. When I do this I usually end up with 4 wings (two on each side) not two (one on each side). The fibers are not staying together much. Not sure if tying this style it makes any difference really. I wonder if tiers back then worried about it. It may be a factor in the species I get the feathers from. I have tried a few and will continue to see if another will work better.

I read an article on Tweed fishing and the author was discussing older patterns and newer ones. He mentioned how many of the older patterns call for yellow or primrose colored tying thread as a base thread and how the color really doesn't match with many of the hatches on the Tweed. He said today, although the styles are still very traditional and widely used, most match the hatch a little more closely with their patterns.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:07 am

Hey Bill, I use chukar mostly for tailing my Gamebird Flymphs. they do have some very nice true dun colored soft hackles on them but are usually a little large for trout patterns.

letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:36 am

Superb little swinger...
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:55 am

Old/New Hat, Howdy;

Very nicely tied fly, both of'em.
Hate to ask but would you mind doing a SBS for
the wings??
Thanks for considering ...

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin