Caddis emerger

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Smuggler

Caddis emerger

Post by Smuggler » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:21 am

Last Sunday William Anderson and I drove on down from NY to try our luck on Spring Creek in beautiful State College, Pa. We were jonesing about a certain stretch of the stream that Bill (tie2fish) showed us on an earlier outing this year.

Not much happening when we got there, maybe a rise or few. I missed a take swinging a P&O and finally hit home a couple swings later. We fished so much holding water on our way downstream with little success. During the last hour of daylight the temperature started to drop as it does this time of year when the sun tucks behind the mountains for the night. Caddis started to move upstream and trout started to rise. At this point I had on a Red Tag wet fly and maybe picked up a fish with it so, I decided to go back to double rigged P&O's.

I immediately found success with a nice brown who actually shook the fly which in turn caught his pectoral fin. I hate that. But the fish was no worse for wear. I waited for William to make his way down to me while watching him cover pockets and seems like nobodies business. Watching the caddis flutter around I grabbed one to take a look at. Upon inspection I noticed a yellow abdomen with that signature tan caddis color for a thorax and wings. When I got home I sat down and came up with this.

I have this on a Daiichi 1510 #14 which I believe is an egg hook with an extremely short shank. I find that it's very appealing to me. Hopefully the fish agree.
Dubbing is a mixture of a spectral wool and some chadwicks sub wool called Borroco. Which William gave me samples of. Nice stuff.
letumgo
Site Admin

Re: Caddis emerger

Post by letumgo » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:53 am

Imitative, buggy, with lots of lively movement. Love it! I look forward to hearing your field trial reports. Looks like a dandy "hooker". ;)

Nice work Eric.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:41 pm

Oh yeah, Eric -- that is really caddis-like. How about Butch Caddissy?
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
Smuggler

Post by Smuggler » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:44 pm

Butch Cassidy, I like it! Hopefully I run into some caddis by season's end so I can give these a go.
Smuggler

Post by Smuggler » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:44 pm

Err.. Caddissy. Auto correct, I hate you sometimes.
Grandtyer

Post by Grandtyer » Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:40 am

That's very nice, I usually don't tie winged wets but I'll tie a dozen or so of that fly.
I know a river where that would work great.
What is the wing material?
Smuggler

Post by Smuggler » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:46 am

Grandtyer wrote:That's very nice, I usually don't tie winged wets but I'll tie a dozen or so of that fly.
I know a river where that would work great.
What is the wing material?
I'm glad you like it! Hopefully it produces for you.
The wing is partridge tail bunched and rolled.
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:16 pm

Great looking pattern Eric and it has all those traditional features to it. Should be a very productive design.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
Smuggler

Post by Smuggler » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:17 pm

Thanks Carl!
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:04 pm

Wow Eric!
That will put the smack on some caddis hungry trouts! I like the process you used (and the short text to describe it) in snagging a sample from the air, memorizing it until you got home, and then put it to the hook just the way you saw it. Now, you need to get back up there (or over there?) and prove your new pattern! It's not too late for this, is it?
Always impressed with your powers of observation and your abilities,
Doug
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.