Parsons' Glory - For Letumgo

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Johnno

Parsons' Glory - For Letumgo

Post by Johnno » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:48 pm

Ray, as per below this was tied by me and is in the "old style" as it would have been tied in the 1920's
To my mind one of the most beautiful flies around and the description of "..It is the golden fly, both in colour and quality..." is particularly apt.

The modern tie does away with the seal or mohair body and is replaced by the yellow chenille. Red and Green are also favoured colours. Also the modern tie does away with the GP topping - an obvious indication of the ancestry of New Zealand streamer patterns being old UK seat trout and salmon flies. I still retain the JC eye on the "modern" style as I think they add an awful lot to this and other streamers. The modern tie would have red or orange cock tail fibres rather than GP tippets. The rib is gold tinsel, you could use silver if you desire.

The pattern calls for "well marked honey grizzle feathers" although some prefer paler feathers like these.

The hook is a Mustad 3666 which was been an old stock standard streamer hook down here for decades until more modern hooks came on the market. I still use them as they seem to just fit Matuku style patterns.
Johnno

Re: Parsons' Glory - For Letumgo

Post by Johnno » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:50 pm

Oh and if you changed the honey grizzle for just plain grizzle, you would have a "Dorothy" streamer.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:02 pm

Excellent! Thanks John. I have a stash of Mustad 3666's, I've been saving for some of these. I love these streamers.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:38 pm

Johnno,
That is one cool looking streamer! Your tying is so fine! This is an older pattern (I think you mentioned the 1920's as a date of origin -- roughly?). I there a specific bait fish this one immitates?
Great Job friend! Let's see more!
Doug
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.