Hopper Buck

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Re: Hopper Buck

Postby ScottP » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:24 am

WiFlyfisher wrote:Scott, Damien Wilmot who is a friend of mine and is the owner of Fly By Night Guide Service, states in his dressing a "Wing: Mallard Flank". You have stated "woodduck flank".

Liked the look of the woodduck better so that's what I tied it with; Mr. Wilmot also used a Tiemco 200, a hook I have little use for and avoid if at all possible. My goal here wasn't to tie a historically accurate fly, just thought it was a neat pattern; guess I should have noted this was a Hopper Buck variation.

WiFlyfisher wrote:It would be great when you tie all these nice patterns you reference the source you got it from.

I always try to acknowledge a patterns' creator.

Regards,
Scott
ScottP

Postby tie2fish » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:17 am

ScottP wrote:

Regards,
Scott

My recollection is that Scott is particularly good about doing this.
In ancient times, cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.
tie2fish

Postby WiFlyfisher » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:00 pm

ScottP wrote:
WiFlyfisher wrote:Scott, Damien Wilmot who is a friend of mine and is the owner of Fly By Night Guide Service, states in his dressing a "Wing: Mallard Flank". You have stated "woodduck flank".

Liked the look of the woodduck better so that's what I tied it with; Mr. Wilmot also used a Tiemco 200, a hook I have little use for and avoid if at all possible. My goal here wasn't to tie a historically accurate fly, just thought it was a neat pattern; guess I should have noted this was a Hopper Buck variation.

WiFlyfisher wrote:It would be great when you tie all these nice patterns you reference the source you got it from.

Regards,
Scott

Scott, your fly tying is wonderful so don't take me wrong. I personally like the looks of your fly with the woodduck flank feather instead for the wing and the woodduck gives it more of a Hex wing feel to me. Although, I am not sure what the "Hopper Buck" fly pattern was supposed to imitate if that fly pattern actually existed with that name in Wisconsin. So far, I can't find anything on it with that name.

It seems across the Internet many, many fly tyers make changes to patterns and post their flies on various forums using the original pattern's name. After awhile it's hard to know what the heck the original pattern looked like and who originally tied it. IMHO, the same problem existed back when everything was in books only, but now with the Internet it has been compounded hundredfold!

This morning I read online an article about the NEW Poly Dun mayfly series... which I felt was total nonsense. Poly wing hackled dry flies have been around for years.
WiFlyfisher

Previous

Return to Fly Dressings - Winged Wet Flies