Red Fox Caddis

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

William Anderson
Site Admin

Red Fox Caddis

Post by William Anderson » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:17 am

This one should ride fairly high until it doesn't. :D The bit of cdc as a wing won't support this pattern on it's own, it drops through the surface tension in the little cup on my desk like any other softie after a bit, but it creates a little different air bubble with Frog's Fanny brushed in. One of the samples got FF on the body and it just hung in the surface tension. I got tired of waiting and just pushed it down, but the sample with FF only on the cdc got a nice mercury like bubble on the wing. Not the same as the structural bubble held under the hackle by a nice shaggy hare's ear blend. You know, the same but different. :D

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
tie2fish

Re: Red Fox Caddis

Post by tie2fish » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:29 am

I like the concept, w. Might try a small loop-wing of CDC (instead of straight) just to see any difference in how much air it traps and where it rides, both with and w/o FF.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:34 pm

tie2fish wrote:I like the concept, w. Might try a small loop-wing of CDC (instead of straight) just to see any difference in how much air it traps and where it rides, both with and w/o FF.

You're right about trying a CDC loop on top of the body. Maybe I'll use the technique towards a set of flies for the upcoming hatch on Penns. I really want to catch that scene again this year.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:29 pm

Geeze William!
This pattern is boss! The colors are screaming....Tan Flymph! Just kidding my friend! The fox fur especially has such a great color and texture! Bills loop wing with the cdc is great idea! You have got to try them both out soon! I cannot imagine you not catching something on this spectacular pattern!
Great work William! This fly is just awesome!
Doug
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:33 pm

Doug, you're encouragement always brings a huge smile to my face. Much appreciated. :D
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
UC Steve

Post by UC Steve » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:04 am

Killer looking patt William. For more flotation, simplicity & ruggedness, I'd be tempted to add a small a bit of elk over the CDC. Not much, maybe just 6 to 8 hairs of some fat, hollow stuff.
redietz

Post by redietz » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:13 am

I'm not sure how I missed this previously, but what a great concept. I always like CdC on a wet.
Bob
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:59 pm

Outstanding! I'll take a dozen... :twisted:
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:27 pm

You know the fish only take wet flies with structural bubbles right? Mercury bubbles will put them down for the rest of the day. :twisted: :D

That red fox is beautiful.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com