Epeorus wet fly

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Roadkill

Re: Epeorus wet fly

Post by Roadkill » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:02 pm

In Oregon I fish a simple yellow flymph for Epeorus albertae with a yellow dubbed body and yellow hackle.
My latest is the Glitzy Pink Lady...
http://www.flymphforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 48#p101748
Updtate

Post by Updtate » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:43 am

P_20210118_112713.jpg
P_20210118_112713.jpg (123.62 KiB) Viewed 1653 times
Variant

Post by Variant » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:23 am

ForumGhillie wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:11 pm Thank you for your response.

I actually think the Epeorus genus is one of the most under appreciated mayflies and deserves more recognition by fly fishermen and fly tiers. If it wasn't for the Quill Gordon I doubt most fly fishermen would know squat about the Epeorus genus.

John
John I totally agree with you, on the Madison River the Epeorus Albertae ( pink Lady) has become much more prevalent and there is much more interest in fishing the hatch but instead of concentrating on the emerging phase I have seen many anglers working the dun and spinner phases.
Beautiful tie Update!
Lou
In sport,method is everything.The more the skill the method calls for,the higher it’s yield of emotional stir and satisfaction,the higher it’s place must be in a sportsman’s scale of values. RODERICK HAIG-BROWN
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:03 am

ForumGhillie wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:07 am There was a discussion about Quill Gordon (Epeorus pleuralis) on another forum, which is an early season Eastern US mayfly hatch. That got me tying another Epeorus mayfly - Epeorus vitreus, which I have witnessed and fished in the Upper Midwest. Epeorus mayflies are the perfect example of a winged wet fly since they are known to hatch along the stream bottom in riffled sections of the rivers and then work their way as a winged mayfly to the surface.

There are a lot of common names for Epeorus vitreus and I find that confusing. They are not sulphurs, nor cahills, yet they are often times lumped in with them. I find the Epeorus vitreus wet fly a great 'killer' pattern in the riffles when the insects are hatching. I do believe the wing is an important trigger for this fly when the trout are feeding on the bottom emerging duns.

I tie the body with a blend of awesome possum dubbing over white thread to keep it lighter in color. When it is wet the body darkens. I generally switch the thread color to medium olive for the thorax, but for Letumgo's sake I continued with the white thread and colored the head with Prismacolor Mocha Dark, then coated with head cement.

Epeorus-vitreus-wet-fly.jpg

I think this dressing is fantastic. I don't run across this fly very often up here; almost never, in fact, but I would tie this fly on the end of my tippet and fish it on general principle alone. So well done. Thanks for posting it.