Whiting Bantam Hen Cape

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

DUBBN

Whiting Bantam Hen Cape

Post by DUBBN » Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:34 am

I found this product on a Fly shops web page. Has anyone used it before? Does it have more feathers in the 20 to 16 range than the Herbert Miner, or Whiting Red Label capes/
Variant

Re: Whiting Bantam Hen Cape

Post by Variant » Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:10 am

Hey Wayne,
If you are talking about the Whiting Bantam Hen cape in the light dun color, yes, I have used them .The cost is almost about half the price of a Hebert - Miner cape. In my opinion the quality is not the same, on some of the bantam capes, the tips of the feathers were broken . I use them for my small soft hackle patterns .

John Whiting does sell a Bantam cape , the only color I know of is called light dun product code 78801000

Lou
In sport,method is everything.The more the skill the method calls for,the higher it’s yield of emotional stir and satisfaction,the higher it’s place must be in a sportsman’s scale of values. RODERICK HAIG-BROWN
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:57 pm

Variant wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:10 am Hey Wayne,
If you are talking about the Whiting Bantam Hen cape in the light dun color, yes, I have used them .The cost is almost about half the price of a Hebert - Miner cape. In my opinion the quality is not the same, on some of the bantam capes, the tips of the feathers were broken . I use them for my small soft hackle patterns .

John Whiting does sell a Bantam cape , the only color I know of is called light dun product code 78801000

Lou
Thank you Lou. That is exactly as it is advertised. I was hoping they had it in other colors. I am up to my neck in Dun.

Here is the link to the Fly shop I found it at.

https://www.flyfishfood.com/collections ... m-hen-cape
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:51 pm

ForumGhillie wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:50 am
DUBBN wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:34 am I found this product on a Fly shops web page. Has anyone used it before? Does it have more feathers in the 20 to 16 range than the Herbert Miner, or Whiting Red Label capes/
My guess -- The fly shop is switching the name from Brahma to Bantam so it is harder to shop their hackle.

Do they show it in a Whiting labeled package?

John
It is my guess that it is an actual (new?) product. Atleast to me it is. Should Whiting add other colors, I would gladly try it out.
Variant

Post by Variant » Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:23 pm

Wayne,
The Bantam hen cape is kinda new, I tried them out a few years ago.
I purchased mine from the shop you cited in your post.

If you are looking for smaller hackles in other colors , have you tried a Jungle Cock Hen cape ? The feathers are on the small side and are a tan- brownish color. Just a thought.

Lou
In sport,method is everything.The more the skill the method calls for,the higher it’s yield of emotional stir and satisfaction,the higher it’s place must be in a sportsman’s scale of values. RODERICK HAIG-BROWN
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:04 pm

No Lou, I had no idea. Thank you. You have been a wealth of information.

I always buy Dun hen hackles, yet I am always out of Brown.