Common Moorhen

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Fishnkilts

Re: Common Moorhen

Post by Fishnkilts » Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:32 pm

So what I'm understanding is, we can order skins of birds from other countries that's illegal to sell here?

Is there a link that shows what birds are legal and illegal to buy here in the US?
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:50 pm

hankaye

Post by hankaye » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:27 am

wsbailey, Howdy;

Nice link. It's a good starting place to chase links from, dependent on how ignorant one wants to remain
and remembering that ignorance is no excuse when confronted by the warden.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
zen leecher

Post by zen leecher » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:38 am

I got really "quizzed" in Idaho one year. I saw a moose hide in the dumpster and cut out a 1 foot square piece. Had a forest ranger stop by and ask about it and the next day had another guy with dogs in back stop by and ask about it. His truck was so dirty I needed to look at his shoulder patch to discover he was a warden. Idaho is very sensitive to poached moose situations and he needed to know where the hide came from and how I had obtained it. Once he determined the poached moose (and hide) had already been accounted for he went back to defcon 1...or whatever the lowest level was. I also learned about salvaging skins in Idaho and got to keep the hide hunk. I think the issue was the moose hide was about 200 miles from where we were hunting and he thought there was another dead moose somewhere. Also learned game wardens don't get all that much $$ to wash their trucks.
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:09 am

I once found a dead owl alongside the road. I surmised that it might have been clipped by an eighteen wheeler trailer. It was intact and not at all bloody. I would have liked to have kept it but the law is brutal. In England the law is more liberal about such finds.
redietz

Post by redietz » Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:54 pm

I just noticed this thread, so forgive me for jumping in late. I believe The common gallinule is the bird in question, not the American coot. Different ornithological groups differ on whether it's exactly the same species as the moorhen/waterhen or just very closely related. It's the most common rail species in the country and is a legal game bird. I haven't used it specifically, but wouldn't hesitate to substitute it for moorhen. If I still hunted, it would be something I would be on the lookout for, along with wood ducks, snipe, and woodcocks.
Bob
NightWatchman

Post by NightWatchman » Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:29 pm

Thanks very much Bob. Yes you hit on the head that it is a common gallinute or at least it was sold to me as such. I picked up 2 wing pairs for 8.00 usd so pretty happy with the purchase.
Thank you
Pat