Old Partridge Hooks

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

joaniebo

Old Partridge Hooks

Post by joaniebo » Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:42 pm

Although I’ve had them for quite awhile, probably 10 -15 years, I kinda had them in a storage box that I seldom open.

A couple days ago, I pulled out that hook storage box and took out some of the OLD Partridge Captain Hamilton L2A dry / wet fly hooks to dress a few Golden Plover hackled flies.

I’ve forgotten how great these hooks look with a North Country Spider or a soft hackle dressing! Like them so much, that tonight I ordered several hundred more (from France).

Years ago, I found out about a fellow named Richard Jefferies who has (literally) hundreds of thousands of the old Partridge hooks, even many of the discontinued Partridge hooks from years back.

If anyone is interested, here’s link to his web site and the prices are pretty decent too.

http://www.troutandsalmonhooks.com/prod ... out-hooks/

Bob
joaniebo

Re: Old Partridge Hooks

Post by joaniebo » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:28 pm

Some Golden Plover & Yellow silk spiders tied on the old Partridge size 14, L2A hooks.
Attachments
Plover & Yellow Spider.JPG
Plover & Yellow Spider.JPG (394.17 KiB) Viewed 9152 times
joaniebo

Post by joaniebo » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:08 pm

John

I ordered them about a week ago from France and received 300 more 14s and 16s today

Bob
Fishnkilts

Post by Fishnkilts » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:08 pm

You know something? Those hooks give the flies a certain nostalgic look to them that I like a lot.

Thanks for the link.
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:47 am

They look different because the L3A is the spider hook. The L2A is the standard wet fly hook.
Just my 2¢
Soft and wet - the only way....
joaniebo

Post by joaniebo » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:13 pm

Just a note that the above flies were tied on the OLD Partridge-of-Redditch hooks from 20+ years ago, The newer Partridge hooks / designations can be quite different from what were made / sold a few decades back.

The description from the above link shows the L2A hook as : "L2A Capt Hamilton wet/dry fly hook. Bronze wide gape."
ibookje

Post by ibookje » Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:37 pm

Maybe I should start a new topic in case I'm polluting the original topic ;)

I was given these hooks by a friend. The labels show they are Partridge hooks, but unlike any Partridge hooks I know they have much finer wire and longer shank. Looks very much like the Mustad 94831, but being 4x fine it's not. The E1A Hooper was my initial thought but these have thicker wire and not as long a shank.

Anyone know what model Partridge hook these might be?

Theroe

Post by Theroe » Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:27 pm

Jay - those are very nice hooks……..the model / nomenclature escapes me now. I picked up a handful of boxes years back, and really liked them for certain patterns especially small bivisibles. I have had a couple of in depth conversations with John Shaner(one recently) - he will know!!

Thanks for the heads up, Forum Ghillie!!!

Dana
Soft and wet - the only way....
ibookje

Post by ibookje » Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:44 pm

That's what I thought initially but I found a good picture of the E1A Hooper hook and now I'm doubting. The hook in the picture has quite a thicker wire and is not as long shank as the ones I have?

Got this picture from Whitetail fly tieing:

The Partridge next to a Mustad 94840 size 12
The Partridge looks a tad finer wire than the Mustad

ibookje

Post by ibookje » Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:22 pm

Theroe wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:27 pm Jay - those are very nice hooks……..the model / nomenclature escapes me now. I picked up a handful of boxes years back, and really liked them for certain patterns especially small bivisibles. I have had a couple of in depth conversations with John Shaner(one recently) - he will know!!
Hi Dana,
It's probably way pre-1970.
Hope John Shaner joins the thread!