Golden Plover Available; Yes in the USA!

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

FlyFisherMann1955

Golden Plover Available; Yes in the USA!

Post by FlyFisherMann1955 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:42 pm

On a previous post where someone used Golden Plover, I made a comment about being on the Cookshill waiting list for my first-ever Golden Plover skin. A Forum member sent me a PM and said he had recently purchased a Golden Plover skin from a CONUS fly shop.

He said it wasn't cheap, but the quality was great! Price was $80.00, which--if my math is any good--is about $20.00 more than listed on Cookshill (L45). I checked with Steve and asked about my position on the waiting list. I'm #37. He said in a good year, he has up to 10 skins to sell. Last year he had zero. I thought--again, math involved--I would need 4 back-to-back good years for my number to come up! I'm 65 now; would I still be here when my number comes up?

I called Mike at Badger Creek and this arrived in yesterday's mail. I'm going to say the extra $20.00 will be money well spent. Of course, I saved some on postage for USPS from NY to OK versus Royal Mail.

DSC01424 (2).JPG
DSC01424 (2).JPG (282.93 KiB) Viewed 2676 times

Tight Lines- Ken
joaniebo

Re: Golden Plover Available; Yes in the USA!

Post by joaniebo » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:30 pm

Ken

I could be wrong (and probably am) but it looks like your sh\kin might be an "American Golden Plover" hen. Me thinks the AGP might be a little smaller than the European Golden Plover. Either way, nice looking bird that should provide some good hackles.

Bob
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:31 pm

That is a really prime skin. Congrats.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Fishnkilts

Post by Fishnkilts » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:20 pm

The markings on the skin are fantastic. I think it's worth the extra $20.
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:20 am

Very nice score, the fish won’t know the difference :arrow: :)
Soft and wet - the only way....
FlyFisherMann1955

Post by FlyFisherMann1955 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:48 pm

Bob,

I appreciate the education. I didn't know there were different types of Golden Plovers,
(both American and European). My only previous experience with Golden Plover was about 3 years ago when
the British guy on the Bamboo Forum was sending them out in exchange for flies:

http://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/vie ... er#p798103

I made the cut in the mad dash of replies and received a wing. Tied a dozen Plover flies for him and some for myself with a new material--a win/win!

Is the size of the bird the only real difference?

Thanks- Ken
Last edited by FlyFisherMann1955 on Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
joaniebo

Post by joaniebo » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:00 pm

Ken

When the recent pic was posted, I thought it looked a little smaller than those I’ve seen before so I did a Google search and saw that there was an American Golden Plover,,,, never knew that until now. I have no idea what the difference, if any, there is between the two. Heck, looks good and I doubt the fish will ask for a passport.

That being said, quite awhile back, I ordered a snipe skin from a US company and got what I think was called an Alaskan snipe. Waaaaay different hackles than a standard European Snipe or a European Jack Snipe.... two different birds!

Cheers

Bob
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:05 pm

I don’t believe American golden plovers are legal to hunt or sell or even possess. The list of legal American birds is actually relatively short. Game birds, waterfowl and some invasive species like starlings and house sparrows. Some states allow crows to be hunted but I don’t think you can sell them.
zen leecher

Post by zen leecher » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:49 am

wsbailey wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:05 pm I don’t believe American golden plovers are legal to hunt or sell or even possess. The list of legal American birds is actually relatively short. Game birds, waterfowl and some invasive species like starlings and house sparrows. Some states allow crows to be hunted but I don’t think you can sell them.
Same here. I think USA golden plovers are protected. What's being sold is coming from overseas.
Fishnkilts

Post by Fishnkilts » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:30 am

zen leecher wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:49 am
wsbailey wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:05 pm I don’t believe American golden plovers are legal to hunt or sell or even possess. The list of legal American birds is actually relatively short. Game birds, waterfowl and some invasive species like starlings and house sparrows. Some states allow crows to be hunted but I don’t think you can sell them.
Same here. I think USA golden plovers are protected. What's being sold is coming from overseas.
Please educate me on this. I'm new to soft hackle flies, so hopefully my question will be a good one.

If I were to tie a fly with hackle from a protected bird here in the USA, but purchased the skin from the UK, or from a shop here in the US who got the skin from the UK or Europe, would there be consequences to pay? How can I prove to the game warden that the bird came from across the Atlantic? But then again, no game warden ever asked to see my fly. So using hackle from a US protected bird, but bought from a foreign land, can that be an issue?