Eurasian Collared Dove (Dotterel Substitute)

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

PhilA

Re: Eurasian Collared Dove (Dotterel Substitute)

Post by PhilA » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:08 am

The color match might not be perfect, but Eurasian collar dove ties a right handsome Dotterel.

From T.E. Pritt, Yorkshire Trout Flies (1885)

Updtate

Post by Updtate » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:42 am

Very nicely done Phil.

Tom
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:08 am

Wow. So much history and tradition packed into such a beautifully tied fly. Gorgeous.
farius

Post by farius » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:40 am

joaniebo wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:04 pm I got these quite a few years ago from Ellis Slater, via friend living in Germany.
Ciao
this is SNIPE wings.
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:06 am

I have a pair of those, they tie well! Never seen dotterel in person so never thought of them as a substitute. But good to know. Thanks Tom.

Speaking of small game birds, my wish list includes a skin of the Band-tailed Pigeon. This is a native migratory pigeon found in the Coast Range of the Pacific Northwest during the spring and summer. It winter's south in Baja and Mexico. Oregon has a season of about a week long. Tough buggers to get though. I did research on these for two years while at OSU but at the time I was just just starting out fly fishing and didn't think much of using the feathers at the time. They are beauties though. Sound like mourning doves but a bit different cadence. In fact if you listen to the sound recording of them at Cornell's Ornithology site, it's my recording. A fellow researcher and myself were the first to get a good recording of them. Lots of hours sitting in the bushes with a bunch of movie sound equipment. Lol. Good days!
66034591.jpg
66034591.jpg (436.19 KiB) Viewed 3142 times
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:50 am

They are beautiful birds, Carl. We had a couple pairs that would stop in with us for a few days on their migration routes. We used to get quite a few species when we lived in Washington.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"