Henry Walbran Cooper and his Materials

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Greenwell

Henry Walbran Cooper and his Materials

Post by Greenwell » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:11 pm

During my talk last Saturday I brought up the subject of Henry Walbran Cooper, the original owner of the collection that contained the John Swarbrick manuscript. The collection was subsequently owned by Irwin Arthur Bennet who was born in Cheshire, England in 1853 and passed away in Willows, California in 1931. Through a series of twists and turns, the collection eventually made it's way to Harrisburg, PA and finally into my possession about 10 years ago. Among many interesting bits and pieces in the collection is this clipping of Mr. Coopers obituary from the Fishing Gazette, dated 31 January, 1914. In it is described how Mr. Cooper would visit the poultry market in Harrogate in search of feathers for dressing flies and then pluck and sort them as he took the train home. The collection also contains many of the very packets of feathers as mentioned in the obituary.
Walbran Cooper Obituary0001.jpg
Walbran Cooper Obituary0001.jpg (558.56 KiB) Viewed 30009 times

Here are some of the packets.

Packets.jpg
Packets.jpg (250.72 KiB) Viewed 30009 times
NJ.jpg
NJ.jpg (224.15 KiB) Viewed 30009 times
And finally, a Dotterel Spider dressed by H.W. Cooper
28.jpg
28.jpg (63 KiB) Viewed 30009 times
DOUGSDEN

Re: Henry Walbran Cooper and his Materials

Post by DOUGSDEN » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:51 am

John Shaner,
Thank you so very much for posting this fascinating thread about H.W. Cooper! I read his obituary from the Fishing Gazette with great interest! And, the pictures of the packs of feathers is fascinating! I am glad that someone else was doing this years ago as I am doing now! I can see great advantages in doing this!
Keep us fed John on this and so many other wonderful subjects! I can't get enough of it!
Doug
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
BrkTrt

Re: Henry Walbran Cooper and his Materials

Post by BrkTrt » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:15 am

History in fly fishing. There is much out there and I truly love it when someone brings it front and center.

Thank you

Alan