Bamboo rods for flymphs

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

cassady

Re: Bamboo rods for flymphs

Post by cassady » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:57 am

narcodog wrote:
Now step up to the plate and use silk line...
The stripping guide on the Cascade is so narrow that it's under consideration...
redietz

Post by redietz » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:11 am

cassady wrote: The stripping guide on the Cascade is so narrow that it's under consideration...
As an alternative, Cortland "Sylk" works pretty well for that problem
Bob
Tom Smithwick

Post by Tom Smithwick » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:25 am

I just joined the forum, and by way of introduction thought I would post here, since some of you might be familiar with my rod making activities. I do all this for fun, and am not looking for rod orders. For those who might be looking for an excellent rod taper for fishing soft hackles, I would still recommend the F.E. Thomas 8 foot 4 weight that is in online hexrod. I only have a one piece version of it left in my closet, but would never part with it. It's quite nice as a two piece rod, too, if you keep the ferrule weight light. Chris Bogart at Shenandoah rods makes a lovely hollow built version, too.
My current project is a 10 foot split cane Tenkara rod, aggressively hollowed to keep the weight down. I tried it a year ago with an 11 footer. It worked, but I thought it was just too heavy for a tenkara rod. I salvaged it by turning it into an 11 foot 2 weight. it works, but still a lot of rod to carry around. More on the 10 footer later.
I live in Shippensburg, PA. If you are in the Valley, let me know.
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:39 am

Nice to see your initial post, Tom. There are quite a few members who are interested in rods per se and bamboo in particular, so your contributions will be highly valued. Your input may also attract new members who share your interests, so please don't be shy about speaking out.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:04 am

Welcome Tom. It's great to have you joining in and offering some interesting angles. I can't imagine an 11' rod on the Upper Breeches, but I'm like a 10' 3 wt up there. Sometimes it's my favorite kind of water.

I'm looking forward to hearing what you have to offer on rods and softies. Several of us knock around that area of PA often enough. I'd love to see what you're working on.

William
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
jong4029

Post by jong4029 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:45 pm

Guess if we are making our first posts, might as well get in. I have been studying the soft hackles for about 2 years so far, reading everything I could find. I have been tieing for a lot of years and looking for a new fronteer. I am also learning to make bamboo rods. Went to the Denver fly show and met up with Mr. John Shaner, who sent me this way. I have fly fished for 40 years, but lived in Southern Az. Not a very good place to learn the finer arts. Well after transfering to New Mexico I found the NM trout club and now have a mentor to help get me up to speed. After meeting many Bamboo rod makers and casting many bamboo rods, That is the direction I will be following, along with learning everything I can about all the flies between the nymphs and the dries. The two flies most have pushed in the past. Have been reading through all the threads I can and really enjoying the forum.
Great to meet all of you on the forum and looking forward to possibly see some of you in person some day.
Jon
Smuggler

Post by Smuggler » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:09 pm

Great opening post Jon! We're glad you're here and taking full advantage of the forums fantastic discussions. Hope to see some participation from you soon :)
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:24 pm

jong4029, Howdy;

Welcome to a quiet yet informative corner of the infernal web.
I'm off of I-25 at exit 59, got a bunch of 'sand' trouts down here ... :roll:, :lol: .
Been planning to go over to Willow Creek and Bear Canyon to look for some Gilas
later this year. If I can get my walking legs back in good enough condition, maybe
do so short hikes along the Gila River and the 3 forks of the Gila as well ... maybe ...

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:18 am

Welcome indeed, Jon. Glad that you met John Shaner ("Greenwell" here); in addition to his mission of spreading the word on soft hackled flies, he is also a fine ambassador for this website. Feel free to ask questions and share your experiences with the membership. Hopefully you will be able to give us some insight into the trout waters of N.M., such as the Chama, Pecos, Grand Canyon of the Rio Grande, San Juan and others.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:44 am

Jon, a warm welcome. As you read through the older threads, please feel free to bump them back to the top for further discussions and be sure to jump in with your own $.02 with both feet. Very glad to have you.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com