Stillwater Soft hackles

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Re: Stillwater Soft hackles

Postby zen leecher » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:19 am

Old Hat wrote:What soft hackle patterns do you use for dragon flies Bill? I would like to see them.

Up north I use one called a Drunken Dragon that I posted pics on a couple years ago. It's only suited to lakes. Now to see what Roadkill uses.
zen leecher

Re: Stillwater Soft hackles

Postby Old Hat » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:57 pm

Roadkill wrote:Carl,
I love your emerger and damsel patterns! 8-) Have to tie some up. ;)

I use the old Carey Special or variations of it in different chenille colors or peacock.

If I am really serious about fishing Dragons, I also keep a variety of Dragonfly nymphs in my float tube I got from veteran tyers- Randall Kaufman's Floating Dragon, Reg Denny's 007 Dragon and Clayne Baker's Dragonfly Nymph. I have a number of my own variations as well.

I had almost forgotten about the Carey Special. Great pattern.

That damsel pattern Bill was initially designed for Hosmer Lake. It opened up a whole new world of fishing for me on that lake. It has done well on the Crooked River also for some reason. I would swing it through the tail outs of pools and runs in the early mornings. Seemed to be the only place and time it would work.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
Old Hat

Previous

Return to Fishing Wingless Wets