New

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

RickA

Re: New

Post by RickA » Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:10 am

Great post Wayne, and I'm glad you didn't keel over when you opened the spool of purple kryptonite
Ken sent you. As far as that sighter wax goes, I stumbled across a euro guy fishing a back secondary channel
last spring. Never saw anyone, much less footprints back there so it was a surprise.
anyway... he was using sighter wax and I asked him about it. He said it has the consistency of chap stick
and showed me how he applied it. He had a small rag on his sling and wiped his fingers clean when
I noticed the right leg of his waders had the stuff on it too. Looked like it can be pretty messy.
Nice job on those needles! 8-)
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:21 pm

FlyFisherMann1955 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:18 pm Wayne,

So glad to know you're having success with flies tied from the spool of purple Pearsall's Gossamer.
This report from you may also convert some of the "purple haters" visiting this Forum.

Your photo skills really help show off your flies. Color me green (not purple) with envy!

Tight Lines- Ken
That's me! Guilty! Guilty! Guilty! God, I hate purple!

I should clarify that the flies that everyone else ties in purple are gorgeous. I simply can't make the color work. Alan Petrucci (BrkTrt) dared me to tie a generic purple soft hackle for him. So I did. I fished mine, and he fished the one I sent to him. He caught fish, I saw pictures.

...I still haven't. Purple, it's my personal kryptonite.

Great post, Wayne!
jddietrich

Post by jddietrich » Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:01 pm

In lieu of sighter wax, try giving Sakura solid paint a try. I particularly like the fluorescent colors. You can remove it from the leader with an alcohol wipe. I keep a wipe in a pillbox and it lasts all day.
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:33 pm

Thanks all. I hope I never stop trying new ideas, and techniques.