Tenkara rod

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

willowhead

Re: Tenkara rod

Post by willowhead » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:55 pm

Dog, Tenkara Dio (means King of Tenkara in Japanese), Dr. Ishigaki, is a HUGE proponet of level line. Although i have a feeling it's pretty much all he's ever used, so he just likes it so much out of a lack of experience with the other line types.....just my guess. i've tried both types, and i like the other type better. i have however, watched him cast quite a bit.....and he has a way of making sure that the fly penetrates the surface film almost instantly.....and he almost never false cast at all. He uses no floatant and simply cast to fish.....i guess it's because he can be so accurate with each and every cast.....that he never has to "aim." He puts it exactly where he wants it, every time. By watching him.....it seemed to me that the level line helped him get that fly to go thru the surface film.......however, i could very easily be wrong bout that. He didn't ever seem to be involved with "top" water dry fly fishing.....he was always fishing 6 inches or more below. And i think that had a lot to do with his affection for the level line. ;)
Learn to see with your ears and hear with your eyes
CAUSE, it don't mean a thing, if it aint got that swing.....

http://www.pureartflytying.ning.com
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:51 pm

narcodog wrote:DD, no I didn't use it two handed. But I don't see why you couldn't. You will be able to use two hands for landing a good size fish. I was fishing a double nymph rig with a BB weight. It handled that set up just fine. Oh, I used one of Tenakra Bum's level line 13 1/2 feet and about three feet of 5x.
Narco,

Thank you. We received one foot more depth of snow last night. The ice fishing season has not even started yet. Spring is far, far away, but arriving minute by minute. Mid June is normal time to start the season. How far would that be...hmmmm...?

dd
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:21 pm

57 degrees here today.....and the snow is almost gone........... :D WON'T BE LONG NOW!!!!! :lol: Gonna need these 8-)

skunkaroo

Post by skunkaroo » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:32 pm

willowhead wrote:57 degrees here today.....and the snow is almost gone........... :D WON'T BE LONG NOW!!!!! :lol: Gonna need these 8-)
Wait for it... that famous early May dump of snow.

My problem isn't the snow, it's the b_oody rain. Each heavy downpour, means three days of unfishable water. When the waves of rain come in on three day intervals, you can guess how much fishable water there is here. I might have to break down and go do some stillwater fishing. :lol:
Aaron Laing, New Westminster BC
Moderator - FlyBC Flytying Forum
Stream Time Blog - Current Article: The Leggy Blond (Hawaiian bonefish pattern) (January 2011)
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:41 pm

skunkaroo, Howdy;

Where he lives they don't really know what snow is.

My question is this .... What IS a Tenkara rod :?:

Afew moree than several years ago I owned a "panfish" rod. telescoped had onlt the tip top eye and the one I owned had a small cleat to tie your line onto.
Best I could find to show you what I'm talking about.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product. ... BIK-120339

It telescoped to about 14' (I looked up Tenkara on goo-goo), Mine I used for crappie and other 'panfish' DougsDen refers to them as his "speckled darlings" I calls'em tasty (lightly breaded and quickly into the hot grease. YUMMMM), sorry Doug :lol:

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
narcodog

Post by narcodog » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:25 pm

"I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:05 pm

Yer exactly right hank..................which is EXACTLY "why" we moved here, from.............trust me, where we "KNOW" what snow is.............
i usually tell folks that here, we have snow bout 5 days a year.........and one of 'em will be 5 inches and the other four will be from a half inch to an inch and a half.
So far this year (winter), it's snowed 4 times.............one was 5 inches, one was 3 inches, and couple times it was a joke, and we just recently had bout a 6 incher. Wouldn't surprise me one bit, if we've seen all the snow we gonna get this winter..... :D
works fir me............ 8-) It was 58 degrees here today.......tomorrow it's goin' over 60.....YES YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:
Now to decide which to use.....the tenkara rod.......a 5 wt. or a 6 wt. or a 7 wt. or an 8 wt., or the boo.........maybe i'll take 'em all. 8-) better bring a 2 wt. too.....and prolly a 4 wt.............lmao.......... :roll: :P

kanutripr

Post by kanutripr » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:33 pm

OK Mark ENOUGH IS ENOUGH ALREADY :cry:

:lol: :cry: :lol:

Vicki
Listen with your ears, hear with your heart.
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:54 pm

HEY.....we gotta spare bedroom...............as they say on T.V. "Come ONNN DDOOWWNNNNNNNNN The price Is Right!" :D

kanutripr

Post by kanutripr » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:04 am

Better look out. You might end up with a busload of friends! I know a bus driver!! :lol:

Vicki
Listen with your ears, hear with your heart.