Knowledge and experience.

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

kanutripr

Re: Knowledge and experience.

Post by kanutripr » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:59 pm

In reality I think a lot of us are guessing what we think the insects are doing, how they are behaving at different stages. Hence the different presentation techniques and maybe new tricks. I think it's probably pretty tough to actually know what insects and fish are doing unless you've got them in a tank at home and are observing them. There are crazy people out there who actually catch insects to put in a tank. I am not that crazy, yet...... HMMMMM.

Vicki
Listen with your ears, hear with your heart.
daringduffer

Re: Knowledge and experience.

Post by daringduffer » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:02 pm

Otter,

I think you are touching an earlier topic which was very interesting when we had Mikes posts there ;" Natural by manipulation". If you choose the rightish fly, and make it behave rightish, you just might catch. Sometimes you catch anyway, for reasons not easily understood. I have only caught two larger trout (I mainly fish for grayling), and I think I know why I caught them. The not-so-big-trout I catch are fooled by randomly presented representations in likely lies, almost always in, or just sub-, surface. I don't enjoy fishing beaded flies - I don't like the mechanics about it. For most of the years I've been fly fishing I was only using dry flies, mostly because it was easier to see how they behaved. My way to cheat has been downstream dry fly fishing.

I have a better understanding for what you are saying now. If one wants do develop consistent catching ability one has to understand both failure and success and adapt accordingly. Something like that?

dd