Leaders

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

BruceC

Re: Leaders

Post by BruceC » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:35 pm

Hey Wizard. I've been tying my own leaders for a while now. There are tons of formulas out there from George Harvey to Gary Borger. Not sure if you're aware of this little program, but Steve Schweitzer of Global Fly Fisherman publishes Leader Calc. It's a free download and is really a terrific tool for calculating leaders for any type of fishing you might encounter.
http://globalflyfisher.com/fishbetter/l ... wnload.php

BTW... I use Maxima for all sections.

Best,
Bruce C
Silver Doctor

Post by Silver Doctor » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:34 pm

I tied knotted leaders for years. The knots always bothered me. For the last few I've been making furreled leaders instead. I usually do up about a dozen at a time to last me for a few years of different length and colors. then use sacrificial leader at the end. Because of the taper they turn over like a charm, kind of like an extension to your fly line.

Often I have been exhausted on trout streams, uncomfortable, wet, cold, brier scarred, sunburned, mosquito bitten, but never, with a fly rod in my hand have I been in a place that was less than beautiful.
My blog: http://lornce.wordpress.com/
skunkaroo

Post by skunkaroo » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:29 pm

Silver Doctor wrote:I tied knotted leaders for years. The knots always bothered me. For the last few I've been making furled leaders instead. I usually do up about a dozen at a time to last me for a few years of different length and colors. then use sacrificial leader at the end. Because of the taper they turn over like a charm, kind of like an extension to your fly line.
I'll take six: three suitable for 1-3wts and three suitable for 5-7wts. Let me know when your done and I'll send you my address... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: ;)
Last edited by skunkaroo on Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aaron Laing, New Westminster BC
Moderator - FlyBC Flytying Forum
Stream Time Blog - Current Article: The Leggy Blond (Hawaiian bonefish pattern) (January 2011)
jhd

Post by jhd » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:18 pm

A good set of leader formulas is available from the Hook & Hackle website, hookhack.com. My preference for leader materials are Mason hard nylon for the leader and Orvis superstrong for the tippet. I like a stiff leader and a limp tippet. I also use a loop to loop leader/tippet connection for quick tippet replacement. But the best thing anyone can do re leaders is to try as many kinds as possible and determine which best suit your rod/line combo, casting style, fishing method and fly selection.
Ruard

Post by Ruard » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:41 pm

I make my leaders of 1 meter braided nylon of 15 -20 lbs. I make the taper from halfwayby pulling out 10 threads. then I make a loop on both ends. In the thik end I make a nylon thred of 18/100. In case of a leader for a nimf or wingless wet I loop two meter nylon 12/100. For a dry fly that will be 1 meter 16/100 and then 1 meter 12/100. When fishing wet I usually fish with two flies about 40 cm of eachother.
There will allways be a solution.
http://www.aflyinholland.nl
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:16 pm

DEAR WIZARD,
AS YOU WILL EVENTUALLY DISCOVER (MAYBY YOU ALREADY HAVE?), LEADERS ARE THE PROBLEM CHILD OF THE LINE-LEADER-TIPPET CONNECTION. BUT, WAY MORE VERSITILITY WHEN IT COMES TO TYING YOUR OWN. AS I'VE HEARD MENTIONED ABOVE IN THE OTHER POSTS, MAXIMA FOR YOUR FIRST THREE OR FOUR SECTIONS IN EITHER CAMELEON OR GREEN THEN THE LAST SECTION OR TWO OF TIPPET IN YOUR FAVORITE BRAND AND "X" RATING. ONE THING I DID DISCOVER THIS SPRING IS A PRODUCT CALLED KNOT SENSE BY LOON OUTDOORS. THE LIQUID IS GREAT FOR SMOOTHING OVER EITHER BLOOD KNOTS OR SURGEONS LOOPS (MY FAVORITE). I HARDENS WHEN EXPOSED TO ULTRAVIOLET LIGHT AND NOT AIR LIKE EPOXYS TEND TO DO. IT'S REALLY QUICK DRYING AND IT DOES KEEP THE MOSS AND OTHER JUNK OFF YOUR LEADER.
SYLVESTER NEMES SAID IT BEST. IN A NUTSHELL, IF YOU WANT TO START FISHING SOFT-HACKLES WHILE DRY-FLY FISHING, ALL YOU DO IS CHANGE THE FLY AT THE END! IF YOU FEEL COMFORTABLE WITH THE CURRENT LEADER FORMULA YOU ARE USING, BY ALL MEANS DON'T CHANGE A THING. JUST THE FLY!
HE'S A GREAT GUY AND HAS LOTS OF SAGE WISDOM. DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW HE IS DOING?
BITS AND PIECES FROM THE DEN,
DOUGSDEN
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
LouisMartin

Post by LouisMartin » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:52 pm

to follow up Eric P's comment about tippet and the question about hardness: I also use the EP Powerful tippet, especially in 5X and lower. It's amazingly strong. I've been using a triple surgeon's knot or a ligature knot, both of which also work better with fluorocarbon tippets (which I've stopped using--but that's another story). I haven't had problems. I especially like the ligature knot, but it's a bit of a hassle to tie, especially with cold fingers. You must use water as a lubricant with it, not spit.
Ruard

Post by Ruard » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:42 pm

Thank you Mike for posting all these articles. I read them in one hour. It opnes a whole new world for me. Do you live in Yorkshire or in the USA now?
There will allways be a solution.
http://www.aflyinholland.nl
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Post by Soft-hackle » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:29 pm

Mike,
Post information where you feel it is appropriate. It'll get read, I'm sure.

What part of Germany are you in?

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Post by Soft-hackle » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:44 pm

I was stationed in Baumholder for two years. Germany is a beautiful country with some great fishing.
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S