How to???

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

willowhead

Re: How to???

Post by willowhead » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:51 am

hank, i'd be on my hands and knees quite a bit mostly likely as well.....but the reason i'd be usin' a short rod is three fold. You DO NOT need to cast very far at all.....you do not need to mend much at all, and you DO NOT want to spook the fish with rod shadow. i'd lay money says all the fish in there are wild.......they WILL spook.....only way they stay alive is being highly paranoid. :D Trust me, that is NOT Tenkara water. i would however, use bout a 12 to 15 ft. leader including tippet. Maybe a six ft. furled leader with matching length of tippet, perhaps graduated in two pieces, triple surgons connecting. ;)

i wonder what the bio-mass is there.....if there are any numbers at all, you'll be forced to pick fish off from behind, or wait an hour between catches..... :lol: because the first fish is going to alert every other fish for a quarter mile..... :P.....j/k 8-)
p.s. if you've yet to use a furled leader.....imho, it's the only way to go for dry fly fishin'.....they turn over SO nicely..... :)
Dang, i just realized.....every since i seen them pics.....my entire mentality has been geared towards dry fly fishin'..... :oops: that's just my natural first reaction to flat water.....oh well, now you know. :D
Learn to see with your ears and hear with your eyes
CAUSE, it don't mean a thing, if it aint got that swing.....

http://www.pureartflytying.ning.com
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:42 am

Hank,

I look forward to your upcoming reports. This seems like an interesting project and something of a challenge. I will have a beer at your honour when you have landed your first fish. I'm in no rush; take your time and enjoy every minute...

dd
CM_Stewart

Post by CM_Stewart » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:55 am

Ron Eagle Elk wrote:I would be trying to keep as much line off the water as possible while staying stealthy.
So hard to do with a 7'6" rod. Someday you really need to try an 11 or 12 footer. As an added benefit, you won't have to mend when working your upstream flymphs in tricky currents.
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:57 am

Not hard at all with a 5 ft. Boo. :D

FliTrap

Post by FliTrap » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:01 pm

Hank!
Note that I'm not talking "casting" here, but simply using the length of the rod to place the flies into the water! At risk of being "assaulted" here, its no more then a "glorified cane polling" type method, if you will!!!! :oops: :oops:
So, really, a beginner can learn these methods in short order and have fun! I often will teach this method for fishing streams, both large and small, while encouraging the development of other skills, elsewhere as the person shows interest! Hook them first, with basic skills that can "catch fish", then focus them on skill development as they can see or realize the need to "invest"!
While this seems "simple", it lends towards a person learning to "see the water", approach with ease and without "stomping through" the trout holding waters!
Have fun!
FliTrap
P.S. You can limit yourself to a single fly if need be! It still can work the same. Or you could even use the smallest of an indicator on the leader in place of the second fly!
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:36 pm

That's very good advise and a wise approach. i've had people catching fish within 10 minutes of ever having had a Tenkara rod in their hand. :o And that was all within the same amount of time it took to give a quick casting lesson, first. :) So your absolutely right. ;) Course, we talkin' panfish.....but hey, it's a fish. :D

hankaye

Post by hankaye » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:57 am

FliTrap, Howdy;

Go back to the top of page 3 and see my answer about the rods I have. I been 'dappin' for crappie an other tasty panfish for several years.
So, I'm understanding what you say. I also appericate you taking the time to expand your answer in the interest of clarity. Don't think anyones gonna assault you here. Might have a few rocks chucked at ya next time or 2 on a stream... :lol: :lol: :lol:

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
FliTrap

Post by FliTrap » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:32 pm

The greatest thing about this post and this site is that it offers a means by which we can share a simple image, then share the differences that the view provokes in each of us! I'd drive hundreds of miles to share waters for a day with most anyone on here (if I could afford to do so!!!!). Rocks and all!
I've fished with some real "clowns" along the way, yet there has always been something to learn and share! Much of that in over crowded, public waters! The greatest thing my dad ever gave me was the common sense to realize that even in the face of fools, the fish (or any targeted game!) has seen most everything, before and typically go into an alternate mode of life in surviving. This includes eating as best they can! Learn that pattern, and adjust right along with them! Even on the heaviest pressured days, you can catch! The game continues!
What folks share on here is the glue of experiences, had! No way to measure the value, as it would take so many years to learn by sharing water! Just think, how many ways can you start to put together a puzzle of unlimited pieces?
FliTrap
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:39 am

FliTrap,

Very well said.

REE
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:54 pm

FliTrap, Howdy;
Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner My "Tin-Tee-Pee" had a ??? minor water emergency ??? last night when I came home. Am presently awaiting a replacement (warrrenty in effect), heated water hose. Commong UPS overnight or max 2ed day.

Back on track... Ya said much, much more than a mouthfull just in your last Paragraph. I for one appericiate your view...
hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin