Translating 600 years of usage

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

paparex

Translating 600 years of usage

Post by paparex » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:40 am

Do you have a list of the soft hackles flies you might use and their hatch equivalent? Example: Purple and starling equals blue winged olives

http://www.calebboyle.com/Starlingsofthackles.htm

or Spanish Needle used during the winter stonefly hatch.

Some are self explanatory.

Callibaetis Soft Hackle http://www.flyanglersonline.com/article ... 100412.php

Recipes and photos would be nice.
http://castandmend.com/blog
CreationBear

Re: Translating 600 years of usage

Post by CreationBear » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:55 am

Sign me up as an eager consumer of such a "hatch chart" as well: I've been going though the archived posts on "Fly Dressing" with an eye toward the upcoming Spring hatches, too. :) (Of course, I just became obsessed with laying hands on some waterhen for the Waterhen Bloa that redietz uses for Quill Gordons... :lol: )
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:05 pm

Howdy All;

I'm with you guys ... :lol:

I realize that the 'bugs' will show at different times due to local. But, the what ='s what is a nice idea.

Now why didn't I think of that question... hmmmmmm
hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
michaelgmcgraw

Post by michaelgmcgraw » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:35 pm

Yup! sign me up too
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:09 pm

I think it's mostly about sizes,colors, and where they're fished in the water column.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
paparex

Post by paparex » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:39 pm

tie2fish wrote:I think it's mostly about sizes,colors, and where they're fished in the water column.
So lets start there. Will anyone share that information?
When should I look to use the Partridge and Orange vs the Partridge and Yellow and Partridge and Red? When does green come into play? That sort of thing.
Ruard

Post by Ruard » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:18 pm

Perhaps youcan look to Edmonds and Lee: they give lists for every month of the year.

Leslee Magee gives list of the mayflies and the spreading in England in his book Fly fishing the north coutry tradition and also what artifial flie you should use.

John Goddard has written a whole book about: trout flies of britain and europe, the natural fly and its matching artificial.

I think you have to study and then choose the flies for your own rivers.

Greeting
There will allways be a solution.
http://www.aflyinholland.nl
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:36 pm

I think it would depend a lot on your own water. Wingless wet flies are excellent general imitations of living insects. Take a look around while your fishing and choose patterns which are similar in size and color to the natural insects. Keep in mind that if your flies are tyed with silk, the bodies tend to change color when the fly is wet. You may want to wet a couple flies and compare them to the insects.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
paparex

Post by paparex » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:30 pm

letumgo wrote:I think it would depend a lot on your own water. Wingless wet flies are excellent general imitations of living insects. Take a look around while your fishing and choose patterns which are similar in size and color to the natural insects. Keep in mind that if your flies are tyed with silk, the bodies tend to change color when the fly is wet. You may want to wet a couple flies and compare them to the insects.
I have a river I like to fish. It is a spring creek, shallow, weedy and wide. During late July and early August there is a trico hatch early in the morning, a PMD hatch in the late morning and throughout the afternoon, a Yellow Sally hatch late morning to the evening. There are lots of grasshoppers in the fields that line the river. Dries work great and low riding grasshopper patterns as well. I have done well with feeding a Partridge and Red (with and without peacock thorax). a PMD colored biot body with Mearn's quail hackle and Partridge and Yellow wingless wets to pods of top feeding fish. What flymphs/soft hackles would you start with?
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:34 am

It's actually a great idea to have a place at the site where everyone could give their two cents about it, in litteral terms.....fly to bug. Be way cool just to take a look at........but like the general concensus is here (and it's spot on), you gotta do your homework. Tye2fish.....i mean tie2fish put it very concisely.....cept the single most important thing was left out, PRESENTATION. Get that right and you gonna catch fish. After that size, and from there i don't think the fly makes a hell-of-a-lot of difference. Color is definately last on the list of importance. Keep the flies sparse, get the size right and present it correctly. Not nessessarily in that order.
If you do use beads.....don't do it just to make 'em sink, as much as to give the illusion of an air bubble. So use silver linned glass beads. Fishin' on the bottom might as well be done with a nymph if that floats your boat.....it doesn't mine. But if it does your, then a normal bead will do just fine. ;)

papa, are you Caleb Boyle........anyway, those flies at the url you put up are VERY nice......might wanna flatten your thread before finishing off the heads.......but VERY nice work. Two thumbs up. Course, for all i know......Pearsalls don't flaten well.....? i have almost no experience with it.

Holy cow.....nice stuff all over that sight........way cool. :)
Learn to see with your ears and hear with your eyes
CAUSE, it don't mean a thing, if it aint got that swing.....

http://www.pureartflytying.ning.com