Soon

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Otter

Re: Soon

Post by Otter » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:23 pm

The season of conjecture is over , time for the real fun to begin. :)

Are the repaired waders as leaky as ever, will adrenalin take over from common sense.
Are the trout ready for the onslaught of fur and feather that will come their way to-morrow, will they have forgotten some of the lessons they learned as mere youngsters last season.

And in case you have not guessed, I love the 1st of March !!!!!
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:39 pm

Have a great day. What's your weather supposed to be like tomorrow? What's your plan? I'm not familiar with streams in Ireland?

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:07 pm

Otter, Howdy;

Many happy returns (of trout or whatever to the stream/river),

would have thought that the 17th would have been more of a favorite ;)

Best o' luck to ya...

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Post by Soft-hackle » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:31 pm

Well,
Last night through this morning we had RAIN, and flood warnings are up. we had a good snowfall a few days ago, and it was quickly melted by the warming temperatures and liquid percipitation. It is getting colder, again tonight with temperatures to be in the low 30s for a few days. The weekend is suppose to bring 40s once again with more rain. Surely, spring is beginning to creep in. We still have all of March to get through, but little by little winter's grasp is surely slipping. We may see some fishing by the end of the new month. Fingers are crossed.

It is almost 10:30 PM as I write. Time for sleep and dreams of sweet warmer days, when the scent of Dame's Rocket fills the air.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:09 pm

Soft-Hackle, Howdy;

The State of Utah is happy to announce that after the last snowfall we are at 135% of snowpack as as State wide avg.
Run off is going to be a doo-zer.

Temp. lastnight was near 0 deg. F ( I know because my head ws cold ALL night), today in the 40's ..............go figure.....

hank
Otter

Post by Otter » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:55 pm

Sorry Hank, it was a cracking 11 degrees here today, very very light winds and quite bright and an undescribable pleasure to be back in leaky waders :)

The best of the bunch , a nice 14" fish and well conditioned for this time of the year.

Have these image below on the phone since last year. Its a little river that runs out of Lough Sheelin. Sheelin is renowned for huge trout, and seeing a 12-15lber taking spent mayfly at dusk in a flat calm is an incredible sight, to hook one, well ...... :)
The smudges on the bottom left of the picture is all the phone camera could pick up of the almost blackout from the masses of fly life, millions upon millions of midge and small sedge which we had to boat through back to the dock.

Lough Sheelin

hankaye

Post by hankaye » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:23 pm

Otter, Howdy;

Glad you had such a winner of a day on/in the water.

My turn will arrive and then you'll probably have a cold blustery day
as all things achieve balance in the long run... :lol:

Happy for you that you had a good 'Opener'.

hank
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:20 am

Thanks for sharing, Otter. You gotta get those waders fixed, though.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
michaelgmcgraw

Post by michaelgmcgraw » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:32 am

Otter, glad you had a good season opener! Was mild here this a.m . The wind has come up and the lake effect machine is starting up along with the plunging temps. Are you gonna try to stalk one of those jumbo browns?
Otter

Post by Otter » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:00 am

Hi Michael, those jumbo's are in a lake, and i have only fished it once. At dusk boats line up in certains areas and it really is sort of stalking , you sit and wait for a fish to start sipping within casting range. If I had the time I would love to be able to fish it for a week when the mayfly is up.

Back to the river again yesterday, a really beautiful day. Fish are hard on the bottom and will be for a few more weeks. A few medium olives trickled off but not in sufficent numbers to bring fish into the fatser water. I am glad that the the river slowly comes to life this time of the year, it makes you appreciate it all the more. It will be at least 4-5 weeks until the lardk dark olives start to come off in numbers so until then its weighted flies. Wets/Flymphs will take some smaller fish on the slower riffles, but swinging wets downstream is not my cup of tea so I will wait until the fish are more active on top before trying a few spiders etc..