Soon

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

michaelgmcgraw

Re: Soon

Post by michaelgmcgraw » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:18 am

Its a nice time of year. You get to see the river wake up. It still looks like winter here,ice & snow. . .
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:52 am

Howdy All;

Weather is such a fickle thing ..... started to rain (first time since early Nov.), about an hour ago and just transitioned to snow about 20 minutes ago ................ have a 1/4" already ...................... just had a roll of thunder as well.

The signs of Spring are different in different places.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
Otter

Post by Otter » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:26 am

Day 3

After a winter of verbal and typing exercise only, old bones and muscles take a little longer to recover from the exertions of nymphing.

The longing to feel a trout fight the rod tip having being dealt with a few days earlier it was time to simply enjoy being on the water, so I met up with a friend and fished some water that is probably not the best of choices for this time of the year. So some relaxed nymphing NZ style was my choice and left the more exertive forms of nymphing to my friend for whom it was his first outing of the season. Of course offering him the best water much to his delight, I knew that I had the better water for the time of year, the slower pockets that I could explore quietly and as it turned out reasonably effectively. We caught a few despite having to fight a strong downstream breeze.

We then moved to another stretch of water that has had a lot of clearance work done on it . A quarter of a mile of beautiful riffly water, I never fished it before but it is ideal spider water and I will be back there in a few weeks when the fish become more active and have moved into the streams. Strange to be able to fish one method whilst at the same time analysing and mapping the water with the view of fishing different methods the next time out.