Sparse Dressing on large hooks discussion

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Re: Sparse Dressing on large hooks discussion

Post by Soft-hackle » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:24 pm

Hank, Michael,
Wiggle nymphs have been around for a long time. I recall seeing them back in the 70s if I'm not mistaken. Some nymphs ARE very good swimmers, as Ray has shown us. Isonychia is one, and I'm sure some Wingless Wet Wigglers would probably be murder.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:40 pm

Soft-hackle, Re-Howdy;

Wasn't my contention that they couldn't, merely surmising that when it comes to taking a ride in the
washing machine they would most likely do a, for lack of a better term, “Tuck and roll” thus protecting the vital areas
and covering everything with the exoskeletal covering. So, if it were an #18 or smaller it would appear as a dark dot.
That’s all.
Of course the opinion expressed is soley that of the writer, please supply your own grain of salt.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
redietz

Post by redietz » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:16 am

Getting off the subject of "wiggle" (isn't that what the soft hackle is already giving us?) and going back to body length, I think many of our flies already too long of body. Turn over a caddis fly sometime and check out how long the body is compared to the wing. And for a ephemerid, the "body" really only needs to represent the thorax area; the hook can fill in for the rest.
Bob
DNicolson

Post by DNicolson » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:29 am

This has been a very interesting topic, I have been sitting on the side lines just reading all the viewpoints.
Great stuff!! Keep it up. You are helping me to form some ideas.
Otter

Post by Otter » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:11 am

Indeed Donald, some interesting views.

It would appear that no one has a very solid , stand up in court type of opinion on this - and that is the way it probably should be in so far as we probably fish different styles , in different ways on different types of water for various types of trout and various types of hatches.

It really is one discussion that leaves you feeling that you either choose to ignore it as a non issue and happily fish both styles confidently.

or choose to figure out for yourself whether or not one style is more effective than another or whether it is a case one style for one type of water or situation or hatch type and the other style for another type of water or situation or hatch type.

Is it any wonder society in general considers us a half mad but harmless bunch :)
michaelgmcgraw

Post by michaelgmcgraw » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:41 am

Hi Mark,
I have heard of and seen wiggle nymphs-jointed body flies, at the time I was Hmmming about them I had a comical picture in
my mind of a jointed body prtrg & green :lol:
CreationBear

Post by CreationBear » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:57 am

Does anyone else think this discussion would make the basis of one of Gary Larson's "Farside" caroons? "Gordon was just happy catching fish. Then, one day, he bought a kick seine and a blender."
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:47 am

CreationBear wrote:Does anyone else think this discussion would make the basis of one of Gary Larson's "Farside" caroons? "Gordon was just happy catching fish. Then, one day, he bought a kick seine and a blender."
Wonderful! :lol:
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:49 am

cb, Howdy;

you funny................................... :lol:

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:54 am

Otter wrote:Is it any wonder society in general considers us a half mad but harmless bunch :)
Otter, did you mean flyfishermen or the Irish? (head down...grinning)

CB, that is very funny. A perfect conclusion.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com